Pin2Dmd Editor

lucky1

23 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

I checked different project files and together with Steve found the source for that problem. This only happens if keyframe names are not unique and different keyframes share the same name. This was not checked in previous versions. The latest version only takes the first keyframe and skips the rest which leads to a different export file. Steve will add a routine that each keyframe gets a unique name automatically when opening a old project file.

You guys are on top of it, thank you!  btw, the color picker always on top makes is a good update.

16 hours ago, lucky1 said:

The latest version should generate the same export as the old version, also fix the hash display problem and the GIF export/import for 192x64 

Please test

Yes, I think you guys fixed those issues.  I can't detect any differences on the machine play from old vs. new exports.  Hash display and 192x64 GIF appear to be working perfectly.  Thanks!

Here is a small quirk.  Let's say you have colored a scene that has several frames in it, let's say 4 frames for example.  Later, you want to break that scene into 4 individual scenes (each having one of the frames in it), so that you can assign a keyframe to each one.  What I do is just save the scene as a single animation, then load that animation 4 times back into the project, then use the "Frame-" button to edit (delete) 3 frames from each scene.  The quirk is after I use "Frame-" to edit the first scene, and click on the next scene to edit, the "Frame-" button is greyed out.  You can use the < > arrows to shuffle back and forth thru the scene, but you can't use the "Frame-" button.  However, if you click on any recording, then click back on scene you want to edit, the "Frame-" button will once again be active.  It isn't a big deal because you can accomplish what you want to do by clicking outside of the scene list, but you didn't have to do this in the old version.

• Content Provider

First of all why don´t you just mark start - mark end - cut each individual frame of the colored scene instead of using export / import  ?
I never used the Frame +/- buttons so far. As always please report issues like this on github. Steve does not read this thread very often
and you make sure that the issue does not get forgotten that way.

20 hours ago, lucky1 said:

First of all why don´t you just mark start - mark end - cut each individual frame of the colored scene instead of using export / import  ?
I never used the Frame +/- buttons so far. As always please report issues like this on github. Steve does not read this thread very often
and you make sure that the issue does not get forgotten that way.

I  cut and colorize scenes in a multiple frame fashion because it seems easier to use the clipboard functions to color the frames that way.  Then I try to set a keyframe for the scene, but for some reason sometimes the scene will only partially work, meaning that it will play back some of the frames in the way I colored them  and,  I don't know how to explain it,  but then lose it's way or get out of sync somehow and revert to a different palette.  It's only then that I try to break up the scene using export/import and set more keyframes.   Maybe I'm not doing this the best way but still learning, and will gladly take any advice you can give me.   I didn't even realize you could mark and cut scenes (thought it was just for recordings), but yes that is a better and more direct way to do it!

I will put this issue on github for Steve.  Do you want people to close their own issues on github when they get fixed or do you want to do that?

Probably another stupid question, but I cannot see what Ctl-A  (Select All) does.  Ctl-C loads the clipboard with  color masks that can be used from frame to frame with Ctl-V, I see that.  When I do Ctl-A, I can see that there is a highlighted box around the entire frame and the cursor changes to a four-direction arrow, but when I go to another frame and click Ctl-V, nothing seems to happen.  What am I missing here?

• Content Provider

CTRL-A is just marking ALL. You could use it to mark the whole frame first and move the borders to the area you want to cut instead of using the dotted rectangle tool and drag it around the area.

48 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

CTRL-A is just marking ALL. You could use it to mark the whole frame first and move the borders to the area you want to cut instead of using the dotted rectangle tool and drag it around the area.

What is the trick in getting the borders to  move?  It looks like there are grip points on each edge, but I cannot seem to resize the box by clicking on them or any part of the edge.

17 hours ago, Rockdude233 said:

Anybody ever had this happen?   I'm trying to assign a keyframe to this scene, but for some reason all the hash codes are blank.  Every recording where this frame occurs they are also blank.

So I figured out that if I click on the mask checkbox, then uncheck it, the hash codes appear and I can then  use them for setting the keyframe.  This only happens for some frames (very few), but it's very consistent on those frames.  Anyway, just in case anybody else runs into this strange thing, you know what to do now.    

On 11/27/2015 at 2:41 AM, lucky1 said:

Since Version 2.8 the recordings can be done with the official vpinmame build by creating a DmdDump folder in the folder where vpinmame.dll is located and activating both Show DMD and Use external DMD in the tables option menu. 

In trying to make  a recording using the latest VP files, but I can't seem to get it to work.    I'm confused, it sounds like you don't need a special .dll file anymore if you use the latest, but I don't get anything in the DmdDump folder when I try it.  Are these the 2 items that you need activated in the tables option menu?

image.png.b91cfdb6218619b4907063635f94bbf6.png

In trying to make  a recording using the latest VP files, but I can't seem to get it to work.    I'm confused, it sounds like you don't need a special .dll file anymore if you use the latest, but I don't get anything in the DmdDump folder when I try it.  Are these the 2 items that you need activated in the tables option menu?
image.png.b91cfdb6218619b4907063635f94bbf6.png

Hi!

You need to start a game and then press F1, in vpinmame menu select “show dmd” and “use external dmd”, then restart vpinmame by pressing F3 or better restart the whole table.

4 hours ago, Rappelbox said:

You need to start a game and then press F1, in vpinmame menu select “show dmd” and “use external dmd”, then restart vpinmame by pressing F3 or better restart the whole table.

Ah yes, that worked.  Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Downloaded the newest 32bit editor and when I exported my lastest update to test, I noticed that only a .pal file was created and not the .fsq. Is this a change from the previous version?

Thank you for all you do to keep making it better.

I've never been able to get the 64bit version to get past the original launch screen box. So I have been using the 32bit version. I tried launching the previous version dated 18May2018 and it too is now not making the .fsq file when exporting for a real pin. It worked earlier yesterday before downloading the newest version.  It's got me scratching my head.

3 hours ago, lucky1 said:

You need to install the 64bit version of java runtime 

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

Thanks Steve. Makes me wonder if my 32bit java was out of date for the last update of the editor. Not an issue now as I have the 64bit version running and it did create both files.  Thanks for your help.

Now that dmdext 1.7.1 has been updated to allow coloring of roms to be played in VP, I want to try coloring a rom.   I tried to follow steve's 3 tutorials, but program has changed a lot since it came out.  I was hoping someone could upload a new one with just a simple coloring of say the title screen.  I can't seem to get output of anyting except a white dmd when using altcolor/roms/pin2dmd.pal & vni.  

This is great stuff, thanks for all the hard work.

I can mark a start and end, which creates a scene, but how to get a keyframe (hashes are greyed out, along with color scene)

I just need a little "push" in the right directory.

I have had a little success now, but still very confused about scenes.  I', just trying to colorize 1 word in TAF.  I mark a start, click on hash to use move to the end of the dmd animation and mark end, then cut it.  now when I click on that scene the hash is not checked.  I must me missing something basic.  

Using 2.4.3 how can I change pallete and output a vni & pal file.  I get nothing (I think it needs a scene, but not sure)

Edited by slydog43

A couple of questions just for curiosity.

1.  I know that it is impossible to assign a keyframe to a hashtag that already has a keyframe assigned to it, but it is possible to assign 2 (or more) different masked keyframes to the same frame.  How does the software/firmware choose which one to use in that case?

2. I notice that the mask dropdown box goes up to 24.  I know there is only 10 masks allowable now, but does this mean this number might be increasing in the future?  I know the masks take a lot of memory, but it sure would be nice to have a few more available.