Pin2Dmd Editor

lucky1

New release  about 4 hours ago.  It looks like something may be quirky with the hash preview widget.  When attempting to make a new keyframe, it shows a mask applied even when  none is checked, but then if you click D-mask and then click it again to uncheck it, it seems to update correctly.

• Content Provider
5 hours ago, logen563 said:

Can I import .gif-s into the edior? I could work much faster if I could export/import scenes. There are many pixel editor/animator prgs, that can simplify things.

You can export a scene as animated GIF, edit it with a any editor and then import the gif again as animation. 
I new palette will be created with the 16 colors from the gif file.

17 hours ago, lucky1 said:

You can export a scene as animated GIF, edit it with a any editor and then import the gif again as animation. 

I see how to export a scene as a GIF, but how do you import the GIF as animation.  I don't see this on the menu.

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

A new palette is created which needs to be assigned to the scene yu can cut from the recording.

But the size of the frames are much smaller (like they shrunk somehow during the export/import, and this is without even processing them through another program).

• Content Provider
11 hours ago, Rockdude233 said:

But the size of the frames are much smaller (like they shrunk somehow during the export/import, and this is without even processing them through another program).

You are right ! Could you open a issue on github ?

I was thinking about how you would color a scene like this little guy waterskiing over ramps and dodging objects.  At first thought, it would be easy to do just using a colormask scene.  But here is the problem, you can't predict what the next frame will look like because this is a scene that has input from the player (using the flipper buttons to steer the little guy).  Probably there is hundreds if not thousands of different possibilities for this scene to play out.  So I was thinking how could this be accomplished with Pin2DMD?  Unless I'm missing something, I don't think it's possible right now - correct me if I'm wrong.  But, if a new feature could be added, where you could define individual objects in the scene, such as the water skier in a certain position, or a ramp, or a shark, etc. and so then each object would have a unique hash code and could be colorized using it's own palette and stored.  Then the firmware would look for and recognize this object in the scene, and then overwrite any base colorization that that object covers in the frame.  So in other words, for instance in this scene, every frame would be colormasked with  the ocean/sky blue shades, but if an object like the water skier or shark happen to appear in it, the firmware recognizes the object hash and position and overwrites those dots at that position with the appropriate object.  So now in the editor you would have a list of recordings,  list of scenes,  list of keyframes, but now also a list of objects (and associated hash codes) to maintain.  This would probably be tough to program (I have no idea), but it would a great tool to have for colorizing scenes like this that happen more or less at random.  Any thoughts?  

image.png.3004e0e53901456dbf77c30eed463beb.png 

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, Rockdude233 said:

Any thoughts?   

Yes ! Layered ColMask is meant for scenes like this. It is under development.  I will inform here when it is implemented.
For now use a single palette / mask for scenes like this.

5 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Yes ! Layered ColMask is meant for scenes like this. It is under development.  I will inform here when it is implemented.

Excellent.  I look forward to that feature!   It will be a powerful tool for coloring difficult scenes like these.  Keep up the good work! 

• Content Provider
23 minutes ago, Rockdude233 said:

I notice the export/import issue (#113) has been marked as fixed, but it still looks like the imported animated GIF is shrunk to me?

You need to export again. The problem was not the import routine. A newly generated gif with 128x32 as resolution was imported correct before.

17 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

You need to export again. The problem was not the import routine. A newly generated gif with 128x32 as resolution was imported correct before.

I'm confused.  In the latest version, I "export animation as gif", then I "load animation".  It comes back  in as a recording, and when I look at that recording it is about 1/4 the frame size .  I am looking at a 192x64 DMD file (Baywatch).

image.thumb.png.ad7a129de72bc412f7700e56c30360cc.pngimage.thumb.png.3260383974f969dee1f9fe52f8f6db4b.png

• Content Provider
5 hours ago, Rockdude233 said:

I'm confused.  In the latest version, I "export animation as gif", then I "load animation".  It comes back  in as a recording, and when I look at that recording it is about 1/4 the frame size .  I am looking at a 192x64 DMD file (Baywatch).

I only tested with 128x32. Please open a issue about 192x64 gif import.

• Content Provider
7 hours ago, Rockdude233 said:

Also, I notice when I click on a keyframe and note the hash, then click on another keyframe, then click back on that original keyframe, sometimes the hash changes.

image.png.deda0e5db5490e2130f85b1e12da7aea.png

image.png.97331ed514e6d820bce06e5642a4f7cd.png

It seems that if you click on a assigned keyframe the hash is displayed with a mask although the keyframe is without mask.
I think this only a display problem and does not affect the keyframe itself. I reported it to Steve.

2 hours ago, lucky1 said:

It seems that if you click on a assigned keyframe the hash is displayed with a mask although the keyframe is without mask.
I think this only a display problem and does not affect the keyframe itself. I reported it to Steve.

I noticed that as well.  Also, if you use the same source files and make fsq and pal files using this version and the old version, the results won't be the same when you play them on a machine.

• Content Provider
14 hours ago, Rockdude233 said:

I noticed that as well.  Also, if you use the same source files and make fsq and pal files using this version and the old version, the results won't be the same when you play them on a machine.

I checked different project files and together with Steve found the source for that problem. This only happens if keyframe names are not unique and different keyframes share the same name. This was not checked in previous versions. The latest version only takes the first keyframe and skips the rest which leads to a different export file. Steve will add a routine that each keyframe gets a unique name automatically when opening a old project file.