Pin2Dmd Editor

lucky1

• Content Provider

No. ColMask uses the 4 shades of the original screen. So if you have a screen which only uses the 4th shade you will end up with 4 possible different colors, but
normally a scene uses all 4 shades which will result in 16 colors.

Hello!

I started working on Judge Dredd. 
I need some advice with ColorMask->CopyToNext.
I was working with the SuperGame anim, and after the 4th CopyToNext click nothing happened (I mean the palette was not coppied over)
Is there a limitation or is it linked with the plane numbers? With ColorMask mode ->CopyToNext button I can work faster than with Replace mode.

I'm using version: 2.2.0.6 (2018.01.09), because the new one keep crashing when I'm trying to switch color with ctrl+click

image.png

image.png

image.png

17 hours ago, lucky1 said:

No. ColMask uses the 4 shades of the original screen. So if you have a screen which only uses the 4th shade you will end up with 4 possible different colors, but
normally a scene uses all 4 shades which will result in 16 colors.

thanks for the info

I guess Bushido is not a good example to use for this since all the scenes are a single color.  their are no shades.

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, Pinballuser said:

thanks for the info

I guess Bushido is not a good example to use for this since all the scenes are a single color.  their are no shades.

Then you should use replacement mode instead of Color Mask for scenes  which don´t contain dynamic content
like score information. 

On 2/21/2018 at 1:25 AM, lucky1 said:

Then you should use replacement mode instead of Color Mask for scenes  which don´t contain dynamic content
like score information. 

Every game must use at least 2 colors all the time - background and picture. You could draw extra stuff using the additional 3 background colors. 

• Content Provider
4 hours ago, tjc02002 said:

Every game must use at least 2 colors all the time - background and picture. You could draw extra stuff using the additional 3 background colors. 

Right ! That also extends the number of available colors for Color Mask mode on machines which only use 2 shades . In replacement mode you have all 16 colors available in all areas of the frame.

This is not a quote. I can’t seem to get rid of the above quote bar:

In a post on the previous page I asked if you can just change a scene from colmask to replace by selecting it in the drop down menu. I tried this and it says the scene is a “replace” scene but I don’t think it is because it shows the timing error that could only be caused with color masking. I never added any drawing content to the scene after switching it. I kinda think what’s happening is that because I didn’t do any replacement drawing in the scene it doesn’t force it to be a replacement scene. I will try to draw a little and retry to see if that fixes it. Anyone encounter this? 

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, tjc02002 said:
This is not a quote. I can’t seem to get rid of the above quote bar:

In a post on the previous page I asked if you can just change a scene from colmask to replace by selecting it in the drop down menu. I tried this and it says the scene is a “replace” scene but I don’t think it is because it shows the timing error that could only be caused with color masking. I never added any drawing content to the scene after switching it. I kinda think what’s happening is that because I didn’t do any replacement drawing in the scene it doesn’t force it to be a replacement scene. I will try to draw a little and retry to see if that fixes it. Anyone encounter this? 

You also need to reassign the keyframe after a change from colmask to replace.

• Content Provider

so I snagged the new editor, and Im having tons of crashing problems, I just uploaded a crash report.

EDIT UPDATE: Even the color picker throws a ton of errors, if I actually pick a color its crash city.

Ok I’ve figured out the editor, colored a few scenes with replace and colmask, used palette switches and I have a question for the experts. When you use a palette during gameplay but don’t color a scene it uses colors 1,2,A,L(see pic). Then you use colmask and the options are 1234 or ABCD, etc. it seems to me that it would be better if the pallete colors used for regular palette switches was just 1234 instead of A and L. I find myself setting every palette I use making color 3 the same as A and then color 4 the same as L. Then it’s a hinderance that I have to keep colors A and L the same for when the scene ends but I want that palette to display similar default colors as my colored scene. This really only leaves the “2nd Mask Colors” with full freedom... Can anyone explain what the benefit of using A and L is, or could this be changed? 

317F2624-AEED-46E9-A4E7-621277C4B5CD.jpeg

19 hours ago, lucky1 said:

It is because of the brightness levels used for monochrome palettes. (0%, 33%,66%,100%)
L is full brightness

It makes sense why this was done for the initial prototypes. You were basing it off a possible game with 16 shades(newer sterns) and with basic color palettes it’s totally logical. Now with the editor, it seems like it would be nice to be able to switch the basic palette color assignment. Just my opinion. 

• Content Provider

This is also for compatibility  with pinmame (beeing able to use recordings etc) IMHO in the end a fully colorized project does not make use of
simple palettes (only if not possible to colorize with replacement or ColMask), so the problem is not really a big one.

anyone else having problems with the latest editor versions

I have not been able to use the last 3-4 exe releases,  (post color picker bug fix)

I click on the editor and it closes after the splash screen is displayed no errors

I updated to the latest java from 8u151 to 8u161

here is a video of what is happening

I opened process explorer and the program closes after javaw.exe is terminated at 0:20

with no errors

https://www.dropbox.com/s/72zrhbrw8jqneex/capture-1.avi?dl=0

On 2/11/2018 at 1:07 PM, lucky1 said:

I'm still able to open this version of the editor

I'm not sure java is the problem ; this is what I have installed jre-8u161-windows-x64

I was able to open the first release of the bigger screen  64 bit version of the editor  .

I only been having problems with the last 3-4 releases.

edit

I just downloaded the version released on 3/18  same problem.

I’m having a problem with cut scenes with the new editor. When I cut a scene it looks fine. When I finally color the last frame in the scene, it switches the last frame with the first and won’t take the color for the last frame. So now the first frame is replaced with the last one and it essentially erased the first frame, although the timing of the “first” frame is still good. Tried it multiple times same problem. 

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, tjc02002 said:

I’m having a problem with cut scenes with the new editor. When I cut a scene it looks fine. When I finally color the last frame in the scene, it switches the last frame with the first and won’t take the color for the last frame. So now the first frame is replaced with the last one and it essentially erased the first frame, although the timing of the “first” frame is still good. Tried it multiple times same problem. 

Please open a issue on github and try to describe exactly what you did to reproduce the problem.

https://github.com/sker65/go-dmd-clock/issues