Pin2Dmd Editor

lucky1

......Right now i'm modifying the Virtual Pinball file so that I can trigger all of the animations by just using key presses to simulate the trigger hits. ......

How are you doing that? It would be a much quicker process (obviously!!) than actually playing all the tables and hoping to trigger every possible animation in a "session" so I'd be interesting to give that method a try.

Well the steps you'll need to take will vary depending on how the table you're working with is constructed.

In my case the Rocky & Bullwinkle VPT file includes a keyboard routine which i've extended to trigger code based on the key that is being pressed.

Something like this for example:

Sub RAB_KeyUp(ByVal keyCode)

Select Case keyCode
	Case 6										' Coin Insert (5)
	Case 2  									' Start Game (1)
	Case 22
		vpmTimer.PulseSwitch(swUnderTrough),0,""' Under Trough (Mystery Select Hole) (U)
	Case 28										' Ball Launch (Space)
	Case 30
		vpmTimer.PulseSwitch(swH1),0,""			' Hat Trick Target 1 (A)
	Case 31 
		vpmTimer.PulseSwitch(swH2),0,""			' Hat Trick Target 2 (S)
	Case 32
		vpmTimer.PulseSwitch(swH3),0,""			' Hat Trick Target 3 (D)
	Case 33
		Controller.Switch(swVUK) = 1			' Hat Trick VUK	(F)
	Case 34
		vpmTimer.PulseSwitch(swB),0,"" 			' Bomb Drop Target (G)
	Case 35
		vpmTimer.PulseSwitch(swO),0,"" 			' bOmb Drop Target (H)
	Case 36
		vpmTimer.PulseSwitch(swM),0,""			' boMb Drop Target (J)
	Case 37
		vpmTimer.PulseSwitch(swBa),0,"" 		' bomB Drop Target (K)
	Case 43
		vpmTimer.PulseSwitch(7),0,"" 			' Slam Tilt (#)
	Case 44	
		dtCDrop.Hit 1							' Saved Drop Target (Z)
		Wall7.isdropped=true
	Case 45
		dtCDrop.Hit 2							' sAved Drop Target (X)
		Wall7.isdropped=true
	Case 46
		dtCDrop.Hit 3							' saVed Drop Target (C)
		Wall8.isdropped=true
	Case 47
		dtCDrop.Hit 4							' savEd Drop Target (V)
		Wall9.isdropped=true
	Case 49
		dtCDrop.Hit 5							' saveD Drop Target (N)
		Wall10.isdropped=true
	Case 57
		Wall28.isdropped=(not Wall28.isdropped)	' Toggle Ball Saver (Space)
	Case 75 'Num 4: Left Ramp
		Controller.Switch(swLREntry)=1
		Controller.Switch(swLRExit)=1
	Case 76
		Controller.Switch(swSVUK) = 1
	Case 77 'Num 6: Right Ramp
		Controller.Switch(swRREntry)=1
		Controller.Switch(swRRExit)=1
	Case 79
		vpmTimer.PulseSwitch(swLA),0,""			' Left Top Lane (Numeric Pad 1)
	Case 80
		vpmTimer.PulseSwitch(swLB),0,""			' Left Middle Lane (Numeric Pad 2)
	Case 81
		vpmTimer.PulseSwitch(swLC),0,""			' Left Right Lane (Numeric Pad 3)
	Case LeftFlipperKey
		Controller.Switch(swLFlipper) = False
	Case RightFlipperKey
		Controller.Switch(swRFlipper) = False
	Case else
		MsgBox keycode
	End Select

End Sub

The above code will result in the key scan code being shown if that key doesn't have any functionality assigned to it.  Otherwise it runs the appropriate code.  

I've also placed a large drop target at the bottom of the playfield and put code in place so I can raise and lower it during testing.  Handy if you want to stop the ball draining whilst you're trying to capture the animations.

• Content Provider

So, I am making progress and have a good understanding of Palette switching AND Keyframe Animation (color replacement).

Right now, I need to get a better handle on using the masks.  Like most pinballs, I need to use a mask for variable data such as Bonus, Match sequences, etc.

Here is what I am doing.  I created a basic project, with a few (3) Palette switches.  Now I am ready to try a mask (For all the various Scully animations - particularly on the Bonus screen). 

It would seem the first step would be to create the Mask itself.  I check the ColMask  and Show Mask boxes.  I then proceed to mask off the areas NOT to detect.  Next, I Mark Start | Mark End | Cut (without advancing frame).

This creates Scene 1. From the FrameSeq dropdown, I select Scene 1 and Press 'Add ColorMask'.  This results in + Keyframe Scene in the right side Keyframes.

[mwcitu.jpg

Its at this point, I am unsure if I need simply color THIS keyframe (for color replacement) or create a NEW frame with the color replacement.  I have tried both methods, neither has replaced ALL scenes with the color replacement as expected.

With that in mind, here is what I tried most recently. I do some basic color changes (face and hair).  Once colored, I advance with the > symbol (to save changes). 

ekrrlx.jpg

Save, Export.  Upload to Pin2DMD.  None of the color changes show up when her 'Masked' portion shows on the DMD.I am attaching the project (xfiles_v4sc.xml), but I suspect I am doing something wrong in the editor...

XFiles_V4sc.zip

• Content Provider

The mask is not for color replacement, but only for detection e.g. of the starting point of a scene. You have to use ColMask to color only parts of the screen while preventing the rest of the content e.g. scores. For that you have to cut the whole scene, color it with ColMask checked and then assign the scene to masked or unmasked keyframe . The device will then playback the scene when it detects the keyframe (trigger point).

• Content Provider

I have now successfully created a project with a Mask! 

However, when I added a color replace animation (without the mask)- it is not triggering.  I looked at the XML and it looks to be in there.  Could someone take a look?  I am uploading the project: TEST_v2.xml

xfiles_TESTv2.zip

• Content Provider

As far as I can see you assigned the color modified keyframe as triggerpoint. You will never have a trigger on this because

this frame never get´s sent from your pinball machine because it is modified by you.

You need to assign a frame from your original dump which will always be sent that way from your pinball machine

(no dynamic content). Only that can be recognized as a trigger / starting point for your scene..

• Content Provider

Yes!  You are correct about this.  For those hoping to learn from this mistake, here is the sequence you must follow:

1) Mark Start | Mark End | Cut 

2) From Dropdown on left select scene and Add Frameseq

3) On right hand side, select newly added anim.  Color each frame as desired.

Hey Everyone,

I just started working on this as well, and I'm sure I'm gonna have a few questions. I'm talking with UncleSash right now to get the hardware i need, and I ordered the RGB LED panels. I'm hoping I can install this into my "The Addams Family" machine. as I wait for the parts, I decided to start the coloring process. A few questions.

1. Some scenes dissolve into each other. How do I color these? I'm assuming I do a start keyframe at the normal beginning of the scene, and a end keyframe right before the dissolve effect starts. Will that work? do I need to manually color the dissolve effects? or will it use the colors that have already been set on the 2 scenes?

2. What about scenes that have variables? for example the "wake the dead" mission in the game, it has 5 areas that need to be hit 4 times each (the pop bumpers) so the numbers are on the graves and always something different. as well as it has a score that changes and a count down, how would I color or work with these scenes?

I have more I'm sure, I've searched every youtube video and read this forum a few times, but I'm still not 100%

Thanks in advance everyone!

~John

post-12548-0-19489700-1470332171_thumb.png

You can use ColMask to do this.

I figured that would be part of the answer, I'm not too familiar how that works. do I just deselect each grave? How is the stuff masked colored? what about other animations such as a ghost coming out of the grave once the target has been hit 4 times?

• Content Provider

First of all cut a scene with mark start - mark end - cut. Then change e.g. color 5 to 8 (ctrl klick) and paint a filled rectangle

with them.I think you will get an idea what you can do with that. Colors 5 to 16 are the colors which will be added to existing colors

1 to 4 during playback of a ColMask scene. If you paint areas which e.g. currently don´t use color 2 with color 6 and then

something normally would show up with color 2 it will appear with color 6 instead. Hope you understand.

The color table for a ColMask scene is

01-02-03-04 (colors of the original scene)

05-06-07-08 alternative palette 1

09-10-11-12 alternative palette 2

13-14-15-16 alternative palette 3

First of all cut a scene with mark start - mark end - cut. Then change e.g. color 5 to 8 (ctrl klick) and paint a filled rectangle

with them.I think you will get an idea what you can do with that. Colors 5 to 16 are the colors which will be added to existing colors

1 to 4 during playback of a ColMask scene. If you paint areas which e.g. currently don´t use color 2 with color 6 and then

something normally would show up with color 2 it will appear with color 6 instead. Hope you understand.

The color table for a ColMask scene is

01-02-03-04 (colors of the original scene)

05-06-07-08 alternative palette 1

09-10-11-12 alternative palette 2

13-14-15-16 alternative palette 3

I'd be lying if I said i fully understood. I think I get it, is it possible to get a picture or two to show me what you mean by painting the filled rectangle?

Also, I just got everything hooked up correctly for the first time. With live preview on in the editor; I noticed and wanted to let you know this is the coolest thing ever and I am having so much fun. Thank you so much for all of your hard work. This is amazing.

• Content Provider

Just tried the latest build (142) and doing some basic Mask testing.  For some reason my mask is not triggering at all.  It should be doing a simple palette change on Keyframe 3.  I verified the Mask in the .xml for the keyframe is set to true.

When you get a chance can you take a look at the attached project? (Xfiles_v7.xml)

Xfiles_Mask.zip

Am Creating a fresh card after firmware update to 2.3.2

However I go to create a new pin2dmd.dat, Select WPC95, and also put the renamed pin2dmd.key on there also, however when i select WPC (and VGA) I boot the display, and it comes up with "Gottleib" on the bottom. Basically nothing ties up with WPC95 at all.... :(

When i select pinmamemono, it comes up with Bally/Williams....

Somethig seems screwed up - however not sure if software or Firmware....... (using 1.0.21.0, and also old version 1.0.20.0 too, which worked successfully last time!)...

Any thoughts??

Cheers

Paul

• Content Provider

Am Creating a fresh card after firmware update to 2.3.2

However I go to create a new pin2dmd.dat, Select WPC95, and also put the renamed pin2dmd.key on there also, however when i select WPC (and VGA) I boot the display, and it comes up with "Gottleib" on the bottom. Basically nothing ties up with WPC95 at all.... :(

When i select pinmamemono, it comes up with Bally/Williams....

Somethig seems screwed up - however not sure if software or Firmware....... (using 1.0.21.0, and also old version 1.0.20.0 too, which worked successfully last time!)...

Any thoughts??

Cheers

Paul

Look at the release notes / change log .All WPC95, WPC, Pinled etc modes are integrated into WPC Latest editor config generator is not up to date with the firmware. Use either pin2dmd.exe with usb connection or you could try Classic PinMame in editor.

Look at the release notes / change log .All WPC95, WPC, Pinled etc modes are integrated into WPC Latest editor config generator is not up to date with the firmware. Use either pin2dmd.exe with usb connection or you could try Classic PinMame in editor.

:D Cheers Lucky1 :D

Can anyone get the latest version (or any) working on a Mac?  I downloaded it, put it in my apps folder - and nothing happens when you click it.

As I spend a lot of time on my mac - I want to do my animation 'tinkering' on that, rather than on my cab which is a little awkward for obvious reasons.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Can anyone please assist me with my Addams Family project?

I'm having some problems with the editor:

- When I cut a frame from Lucky's TAF dump and add a Pallswitch I get an Nullpointer.exeption error everytime i click the new created keyframe for changing colors

- Everytime I click the first Keyframe I get the same Nullpointer.exeption error

- After some time (can't specify the time) the editor just closes

I'm using the editor on 2 pc's, one is Windows 10 with 64-bit version and on my laptop which is Windows  7 with the editor 32-bit version.
Files are attached.

Thanks in advance.

test TAF.zip