Pin2Dmd Editor

lucky1

• Content Provider
On 24.11.2015 at 10:55 PM, steve45 said:

Today I've released a first version 1.0 of the pin2dmd editor tool, see here http://go-dmd.de/2015/11/24/pin2dmd-editor/

The editor is able to load and play recorded dmd animation, to define palettes and key frames for palette switching.

There is also a video tutorial on how to use the editor.

have fun.

Here is a short introduction to the coloring features of pin2dmd with the editor. 

There are currently three ways to color a animation. All are controlled by keyframes. The first step is to find a keyframe at the beginning of a animation scene which is unique and hits reproducible. To achieve that you can either use  a plane or a combination of plane and mask.
1 of 10 masks can be defined to blank out areas which are dynamic and lead to unreproducible keyframes. To use a masked keyframe you have to activate the Mask checkbox choose or edit one of the masks and assign a keyframe with the Mask checkbox activated. 

If you found a usable keyframe you can use it to either

1. Simply assign a palette (Add PalSwitch) (same color depth as the original)
2. Start playback of a replacement scene (Add  FrameSeq) (16 colors)
3. Add content and/or color information to the scene (Add Color Mask) (16 colors)

For a PalSwitch you can assign the duration how long the palette should be active until it switches back to the default palette. You can play forward in your recording and press fetch duration at the point you want to switch back to the default palette. You can change the colors of a palette by ctrl clicking in the color you want to change.

To generate a FrameSeq you can cut a existing scene using mark start / mark end / cut. Normally the starting point is equal to the picture used for the keyframe. Then you edit the scene with a 16 color palette. You can change everything here

To generate a Color Mask scene you also use mark start / mark end / cut and then activate the ColMask checkbox
After that you can also use the edit tools, but the content coming from the recording is not editable but you can modify the colors of areas by assigning a different color group. You have 4 groups of 4 colors here. Colors 1-2-3-4 are the standard/original colors. e.g by drawing with color 5,9 or 13 you change the color of pixels having color 0 etc.

Since Color Mask needs to be frame sync to the content coming from PinMame/Real Pinball machine it is the most complicated to be used. Preferably use option 1 or 2 and use option 3 only for scenes with dynamic content like score numbers.

Since Version 2.8 the recordings can be done with the official vpinmame build by creating a DmdDump folder in the folder where vpinmame.dll is located and activating both Show DMD and Use external DMD in the tables option menu. 
To load them as a animation in the editor you need to gzip the txt file using e.g. 7zip with gzip as compression method.
7zip can be found here http://www.7-zip.org 

• Content Provider

Make sure you use the right java version with the right exe for it

You can check the java version by typing java -version on commandline

Mine looks like this and I use the 64bit exe

F:\STM32\git\PIN2DMD\java -version
java version "1.8.0_66"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_66-b17)
Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.66-b17, mixed mode)

• Content Provider

Make sure you use the right java version with the right exe for it

You can check the java version by typing java -version on commandline

Mine looks like this and I use the 64bit exe

F:\STM32\git\PIN2DMD\java -version

java version "1.8.0_66"

Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_66-b17)

Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.66-b17, mixed mode)

I have 1.8.0_66-b18

windows 7 64bit

both 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 64 bit versions won't open on my machine

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

@fly Why do you post in 3 different threads about the same problem ???

I also asked you to attach the dump (sttng.txt.gz) file, that we can better see what is going wrong.

Here is the converted XML file, but the conversion reported errors.

Please test

palettes.zip

• Content Provider

I had a look at your project.

The problem could be that the stars in the background of every animation make it hard to trigger

right if they are not always in the same place when the animation starts. I placed some keyframes

in animations which don´t have the stars background for testing. Find attached my test project.

You may have to adjust the path to your dump file.

Regards

lucky1

sttng2.zip

• Content Provider

That is right ! Reading from the ROM would only partly make sense because very often the animations

are put together from smaller graphics (sprites).  Also you wouldn´t have any information of how long to hold

the palette for the animation (duration).

I had a look at your project.

The problem could be that the stars in the background of every animation make it hard to trigger

right if they are not always in the same place when the animation starts. I placed some keyframes

in animations which don´t have the stars background for testing. Find attached my test project.

You may have to adjust the path to your dump file.

Regards

lucky1

for me does not work,

Could someone show you how it works after editing a color ??   ;)

• Content Provider

The wpc and stern pinball interface and the editor are still in early beta stage. You have to expect some problems with it

or have to be patient until all bugs are fixed.

Which colors do you get  as default when you use my palettes.dat ? Blue ? If not you have a problem with your SD card.

I will test my dat file and see if the keyframes I made work correctly.

Regards 

Lucky1

• Content Provider

O.K. the keyframes I used didn´t work as expected. I had to check hash plane 2 to make it work.

Here is a video. I think we have to work something out in the editor to make the result more predictable.

I have some ideas I have to discuss with Steve.

And attached the file I used.

sttng.zip