Frame For Pin2Dmd

jadflat

Nice frame and good contribution to the community!

thanks a lot. 

Maybe 1 suggestion, you should always use the panels WITH the provided frame. The mounting pins tend to break easily from the pcbs. The frames provide that extra stability. Trust me ;) I had a lot off issues with that on the very first batch. 

Greetings,

dom

22 hours ago, tjc02002 said:

I designed this 3D printable frame. It is 2 identical pieces and also has mounts for uncle Sashs v2 board(will also fit v3 but not using direct panel connector)and a 12-5v regulator(for use in a real pinball machine).  It's also got screw locations to add a piece of tinted acrylic to the front(I'm doing this this weekend). This is designed to fit into a real pinball machine. I'll load the design files up when I get home if anyone is interested. Oh and this design uses the bare panels without the plastic bracket. I was a little worried about space in a wpc95 install with the acrylic sheet in front as well(looked tight in my MM without the sheet). 

This is awesome! too bad, I already sent mine to be printed and I too have the same boards.  Thanks for sharing.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:36 PM, Rappelbox said:

Nice frame and good contribution to the community!

thanks a lot. 

Maybe 1 suggestion, you should always use the panels WITH the provided frame. The mounting pins tend to break easily from the pcbs. The frames provide that extra stability. Trust me ;) I had a lot off issues with that on the very first batch. 

Greetings,

dom

I agree. I think my next one I will design to use with the included plastic frame and I will recess the panels a bit.

-Tom

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2015 at 1:45 PM, opcode said:

I have designed a sturdy 3D printable frame that works for me in my cabinet. I have both the printable frame (stl file) and solidworks design files up on dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4y1plz9zl1dcksv/AAAAHToMIViCYdrj3FNdCrtDa?dl=0. The 1rst things to note, is this is meant to print in 2 identical parts, my 3D printer (flashforge creator X) can't print the full width required (about 325 mm) for a single bracket. The 2nd thing to note is the frame is about 2.5 mm wider on the left/right and about 3.5 mm wider on the top/bottom. This was done because my cabinet previously had a single color led matrix installed using a pindmd2, that was slightly larger than the current full color led matrix, again this is specific to my cabinet, it may or may not work for yours. 

Actually this one is neat as well. I am going to try and look at getting this one printed.

EDIT:  Update. - I got this 3D printed for a reasonable price and it came out pretty good. Thanks Opcode!

20170125_194409.jpg

20170125_194438.jpg

20170125_195938.jpg

20170125_202954.jpg

Just a couple notes for anyone wanting to 3D print things - Don't use Shapeways. They were pretty pricey. ($US70)   I used 3dHubs.com  to find someone locally who was able to print it and ship it to me across town for about $US18.  

If anyone is interested, I have one referral code for $10 off 3D printing. PM me if you are planning to do a 3D print. 

On 1/23/2017 at 11:55 AM, tjc02002 said:

I agree. I think my next one I will design to use with the included plastic frame and I will recess the panels a bit.

-Tom

Yes, that would be helpful to any future builds.. I had to superglue several of mine back one. Still, I appreciate you uploading and making your design available.

18 hours ago, kiwi said:

Yes, that would be helpful to any future builds.. I had to superglue several of mine back one. Still, I appreciate you uploading and making your design available.

Yes sorry about that. I will try to remember when I get home.

• 1 month later...

I designed a better frame that uses the led panel plastic frame. I have uploaded both of my frame designs below. Each design is 2 piece but the pieces are exactly the same(just have to 3d print 2 of them. Frame2A is the latest version seen in the pics in black. FrameC is the previous one. I have uploaded the 123D Design files below which is a free program you can download from autodesk. if someone wants .stl files let me know, I can make those if you don't want to. both of these designs have real pinball dmd bolt pattern for use in real pinballs. also I used a small 12v to 5v convertor which can be seen in the picture. I used the pinball 12v signal in my real pinball machines.

Frame2A.123dx

FrameC.123dx

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I designed a 3d printed frame to use with the v4 shield. With the shield being direct mounted to the panels on the left side the center of my panels didn't have much support and I was getting a lot of flex and a gap in the middle of the screens. I went with a 3 piece frame so the middle would not have a joint. The gottlieb machine I was mounting it in didn't use the center mounting holes so I modeled it to take an 8/32 nut so I can use a screw to level it out if I do get any gap.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3098697

20180910_171211.jpg

20180912_125637.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/2/2017 at 1:25 PM, Gravelrash said:

I made a Williams WPC frame for 3d printing.  Measurements from Jedge Dredd.

Prints fine in ABS on my Replicator 2 clone.

Requires 200mm x 140mm bed.

This is my first 3d design so I expect will refine it over time as I learn.  Any changes I will post here.  I will next revision probably also make it into 3 shorter pieces to print with 150mm x 150mm for smaller printers.

I used Designspark mechanical for this hence the attached .rsdoc file.  However as I discovered yesterday it has no mirror tool so I will now look for an alternative.

PIN2DMD frame V20170102.JPG

PIN2DMD Judge Dredd 20170102 0946 bridge.rsdoc

PIN2DMD Judge Dredd 20170102 1211 Left only.stl

PIN2DMD Judge Dredd 20170102 1211 Right only.stl

PIN2DMD Judge Dredd 20170102 1211 Bridge only.stl

thank you 

I bought this RGB panels  (they where allot cheaper in May, total for X2 plus shipping $44)

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005001510144551.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3f8f4c4dsoi8O2

I printed the Bridge and the Left side and noticed that none of my mounting screws for the panels matched

I modified both the right and bridge  stl files so that the 4 mounting screws fort he panels can be adjusted.

(the left was not modified as its the same part as the right,  just print the right side twice)

the bridge was also modified so that the Nucleo shield can be mounted on the back of the display.

and finally I made some Posts so that you can add them to the Bridge and Left/Right

IMG_20211023_091354025.jpg

PIN2DMDJudgeDredd201701021211BridgeRemix.stl PIN2DMDJudgeDredd201701021211RightRemix.stl Posts X4.stl

Edited by Pinballuser