What's The Status Of Hybrid View Tables?

MTPPC

I recently picked up a Dinosaur Park Redemption game that is crying out for a conversion to a HV cabinet. I've been out of the VP scene for a couple of years and now I'm wondering what the status of these types of table is. Is there something that has replaced them, or is this still the state of the art for a single vertical screen?

• Content Provider

I've been using HV extensively on my mini-cab and will not be going back anytime soon to FS mini-cab or creating a full size cab.  The mini still has DOF for a few basic things like flipper feedback.  But the main point is that I'm fully into HV and developed some scripting and methods to use regular B2S screens for the background with rotated windows.  I've also kept a constant eye on the compatibility of HV and VPX with obvious help / facilitation from Toxie and fuzzel and in the not so distant future I will likely document and attempt to get some conversions posted with corresponding B2S assisted dynamic resizing scripts.  

That will be still probably some time but as far as I'm concerned HV isn't dead only that I don't use actual HV versions and instead try and make them from altered FS / desktop versions with, like I say, still using B2S for simplicity and economy.  For now all my time for VP pretty much goes into VPX testing / assessment but down the road I do plan on getting some progress on the HV technique / tangent I've come up with to try and help others and keep that great perspective alive.

One thing though to note, is I don't think HV can really work for anything but mini-cabs and tables, with possibly the max screen size being about 32", as when I tried with a 39" T.V. it was just too big with areas of the playfield seemingly being just to tall or too short at the front if lowered for the back of the main playfield.  I still want to determine the largest practical / good looking size single screen for HV but am pretty much holding out for a 32" 4k or 1440p that can do 120hz or better so the future is still where I'm looking on that.  Currently my HV / mini-cab has a 27" Yamakasi Catleap that is a true / real 120hz (no frame skipping and 1440p), which produces a pretty nice HV / VP experience especially while using analog nudge and the recent DPF flipper feedback I added.

Short answer....HV is still alive and well as far as I'm concerned at least :)

post-80-0-94268100-1448062099_thumb.png

• Content Provider

jimmyfingers, I was looking at building a desktop cab for HV tables and MAME shmups myself, mostly looking at a 27" 144hz panel, I was also looking to use a 12" "mirror" LCD for the marquee but thinking with that much screen real estate it's overkill, but would be awesome. Hoping to see one of the 144hz monitors go on sale next Friday for a good price... currently my cab is in another room and I feel like a hermit when I leave to go mess with it. A desktop would be perfect for the living room. What angle do you have your screen at? Is it laid out like a real pinball machine or is it more of an upright machine? I was thinking upright myself

• Content Provider

Mine is at only about 20 degrees back from fully upright. It's really supposed to try and represent the illusion of the perspective one would generally have standing in front of a table so a lot of space is used just for the backglass and the PF representation is fairly flat in the screen with some different settings than either desktop or FS to give it a good incline yet have the flippers not be too angled as standing a real table and looking down (especially if tilting one's head) would yield very little of the sides visible on the flippers.  Some compromises have to be made in the view as it's static and in real life we're tilting our heads at least a little with the ball role up and down the table and a fair bit more when looking up at the backglass.

If you're getting a monitor you really should get something with good viewing angles especially if you'll have anybody watching / playing with you.  I got fed up quite quickly with my first monitor for the colour shift and went to an IPS that was quite fast a bit overclockable (23" with 5ms but could go up to 76hz - Asus), then I went to IPS catleap but the 120hz balances out the 6ms I believe it is.  The best monitors would be the latest IPS 27" that have gsync or freesync and even if not using those technologies the latest one from Acer has a nice 4ms 144 hz and ULMB which makes it basically the best viewing angle / colour representation with least motion blur monitor literally currently available on the market.   It is expensive but once you see the colours and viewing angle of the IPS, you may not be able to go back to colour shifting TN panels and now at least for the right price you can basically get the best of both worlds.  If you have not seen VP at 120hz (or higher yet), you're in for a treat as it adds a super realistic feel to the game / ball motion.  Unlike the way 120hz makes movies look fake / like soap operas, that extra realism (overly present pictured objects) works in our interest as far as trying to simulate a real pinball table and pinball motion.  But it sounds like you're already on the 144hz kick anyway, but I would say check out the IPS versions if you can and you really should go 1440p as you lose a lot of real estate working with HV views and the PF only taking up / using about 60% of the screen - 1080p just won't get as much PF resolution and be too much change form a 1080p FS view.

• Content Provider

Nice to see that I at least sparked an interest in this view style. I chose to not use DB2S for the reason that I could use 3D objects in the backglass and animate them easier through VP script. Plus I could use VP's physics for the games like Banzai Run, Terminator 3, and the bell ringer in Cirqus Voltaire (although it was rather tricky). DB2S is awesome, but it has no physics and could only be used with animations, which is good for like 90% of the backglasses. I also like the idea of keeping it simple and back to the basics of only running VPM and VP again. If I ever make a HV cab, I would for sure add DOF and get feedback and LED flashers.

I'm probably going to stick with playing my HVs on the tablet. Here is the thread I started with me playing the tablet.

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2157-playing-hv-tables-on-a-tablet-with-a-ipega-9032-controller/

Here is a mock up image of what I pictured as a nice bartop HV cab. I would probaby make it with like a 2" flat top to add a flasher array now. Keep the view alive!!!

post-8-0-85366100-1448144180_thumb.png

• 5 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Totally off topic, sorry, but I'd love to see a cab-friendly version of your beautiful Sharpshooter, Mr. Rascal. :)

Sharpshooter is a shooting gallery. How would I do that for a pinball cab? On the backglass?

Or do you mean a Hybrid Version of Sharpshooter?

post-8-0-33008800-1450871999_thumb.jpeg

Archived