Pin2Dmd Color - Pindmd Compatible Interface With Led Rgb Color Dmd

lucky1

• Content Provider

But for use a RGB DMD on a Virtual Pinball, what I need exactly ?

basically you need

1. the RGB panels

2. STM32F407 discovery board

and a few wires or a connector board either from UncleSash or self-made.

Part list for the connector board and layout can be found on here

https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/pcb

Software is here

https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

Thanks for your answer.

So only this :D

To connect the RGB panels to the board, do you have a schemas (wiring ) ?

And to install the software and fo the setting ? 

Do you have a installation instructions ?

Alex :)

The wiring is in the *.sch eagle file, but maybe we could outline this later on.

Also I will publish something on my blog pinball-mods.de but not right know, as things are in heavy progress and subject to change.

br Steve

• Content Provider

Good morning, everyone.

:D :rolleyes: :wub:
Wanted to say thank you
, for Steve and Lucky1's open source work on the RGB display!!!  :D ;) :)

If nevertheless times a should come up with the idea and thinks it's too expensive ...

Here is an Information from current event (can be read also in the VPForum, info is about half hour old):
PinDMD3 all in one = $ 299 !!!

Pin2DMD (after all orders) = about 150 $ !!!!

So a rich praise for the extremely good and many work by Steve and Lucky1 !!!!

• Content Provider

So far I only save setup data on the SD Card (which display, active palette).

Currently it is not needed in PinMame Mode but who knows what will come.

I added it because it is cheap and working

Ok I found the wiring but what is the " SPI sdcard module " ? it's necessary for a Virtual Pinball ?

• Content Provider

Russdx posted 30 minutes ago, that he is ready with his all in one RGB display....

For just 299 $ .... [emoji56]

Here a big thanks to Steve and Lucky1 for a much cheaper OpenSource Solution!

this is good. competition stimulates business, even for those who decide to use russ pindmd. can you send an link to the post?

right now I have a really promising version running at my wpc pin dr. who, but unfortuately there are still some issue with horizontal frame sync. somehow related to the SPI handling of the stm32. but I'm sure we figure this out.

I'm also already working on an extendsion to the editor tool for goDMD see here http://go-dmd.de/tools/(sorry its german, english version will follow).

It will support color (with palettes) and frame recognition to choose a custom palette for some animations within one game.

Togehter with sdcard data it should be even possible to replace whole animation sequences with custom ones without any rom manipulations. but that another story.

Fantastic work lucky1 and steve45 :) I got my led panels yesterday and although I said that it was crucial that I got two 160x80mm panels they sent me two 160x160mm instead :( but the good news is that you can unscrew them from the frame and I got 4 led panels instead of 2 :)

• Content Provider

Hmm, so there are making 160x160 single panels :(   

Do you have a picture of the backside of the panel to share so we can see if it looks different from the 2 160x80 setups.  I also ordered a 160x160 panel, so let's see what I get...

• Content Provider

You should look for something like this probably

HTB1JIaKGXXXXXXLaFXXq6xXFXXXk.jpg

Never can tell, though. Here's what I ordered:

panels.png

And here's the message I just got from the seller:

"The module is 160*160mm,I am so sorry you can't make it in two pieces , shortly before we stop the production of this size 160*mm*80mm, Unless you have a big demand,then we can make the size as you said 160*80mm

Best Regards

Len Li "

We may be SOL because what we need appears to be getting phased out of the market

• Content Provider

As I said I've been working on connecting a real pinball maching to the pin2dmd / rgb led panel. The firmware is now capable of displaying normale WPC dmd in real time with color mapping, and palette switching.

Video see here: 

and also attached pictures.

Additionally I'm working a on an extension of the goDMD editor tool, which is now capable of choosing colors, and calculation / displaying hash tags for each frame to be used for palette switching later in the next firmware version.

Now that I see the video for myself on youtube the colors are by far not replayed as in reality. Looks much better, when you play the game.

Maybe the next video will be a better recording

cheers Steve

post-9256-0-88786400-1446234441_thumb.jpg

post-9256-0-26404700-1446234444_thumb.jpg

post-9256-0-11045100-1446234446_thumb.jpg

post-9256-0-47140200-1446234448_thumb.jpg

post-9256-0-57951700-1446234777_thumb.png

• Content Provider

My Display´s are there....

Ok... Frame is 64x64 pixel, but i get 2.

And you can detache them... and there we have 2pcs of the 128x32 Pixel DMDs.

Buy 1, get 1 for free :-)

Check my Gallery for the Images!

Youtube:

Happy VPin weekend!

Now I have to wait on the PCBs (hopefully next Friday)

• Content Provider

My conversation with the vendor

Oh no! I had ordered based on the image and the specifications. Module Size: 160*80mm and Module Resolution: 64*32 pixels49.gif 
My application really requires two 160mm*80mm panels as I was going to make it into two pieces and install side by side instead of top and bottom.  
Do you have any modules remaining that are 160*80mm?

UT8ZtkPXaFXXXcUQpbXJ.png_140x140.png

I am so sorry about that ! If you need more than 10 pcs  with 160*80mm modules ,I can let the company product for you ! 
Apologize again!
Best wish
Len Li

In the meantime, the spec on the listing has been changed to reflect that the px resolution is 64*64 instead of 64*32 although the images are still the same. Well, I guess that there is always the chance that the sales rep in the front office may not know exactly what is leaving the warehouse, and the package will have two modules, but then again maybe not. Don't know what it costs to ship something back to China to get some sort of refund. Guess I may be stuck making a clock or something out of it. If you are going for one of these deals for a 64*64 px module thinking that you can take it apart, ask the seller first! 

• Content Provider

Now, 64*32 px modules can be ordered separately, but the price is substantially higher. Close to $50 US a piece, not nearly as attractive as the $20 piece people were getting a few weeks ago. It may come down to arranging group buys, or waiting for your friendly VirtuaPin dealer. 

I wound up ordering a pair from this listing

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Full-Color-High-Clear-P2-5-LED-Display-Indoor-SMD-P2-5-LED-Curtain-Screen-160000/32314253002.html

It was a little under $75 US a pair shipped. The deal expires in about 30 minutes. The next best deal I could find was about $95 shipped. 

Well, even with the screens going up so quickly in price, the cost of the solution is still cheaper than a plasma.

Archived