Pin2Dmd Color - Pindmd Compatible Interface With Led Rgb Color Dmd

lucky1

• Content Provider

So the open source version is not allowed? This is crazy thinking! I have a few running free and tried the pay version and the pay version is very much improved! That said the open source version is good too! Sounds like your trying to not allow the open source download anymore? You both did amazing work sorry to see such things happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course you can continue to use the old version. The reason why the V1.x got removed from our download sites is commercial misuse.

Given that what is against the copyright law is selling hardware with that version or providing a download link to it when selling hardware. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

This pin2dmd nonsense reminds me of Makerbot... they were designed on open source hardware and software and that's how they built their brand. Then they decided that the open source stuff just wasn't making them enough money, along with being required by the license to contribute back to the source. So they went closed source and now they suck, fuck em.

I won't support anything that was open source and is now closed source. Your reasoning for doing so runs completely counter to that ideology. This project among several other experiences killed VPU for me and it's not fun to come here. It's not fun to visit the forums and see discussion about this software which I defended so strongly in the beginning that is now being handled so poorly. It's a huge disappointment and I can't recommend it to anyone.

So much nasty shit lately, it feels like everyone sees this hobby as a a way to make a buck it makes me sick.

I'll continue to use the last open source version of the software I downloaded until something good comes along that doesn't make me feel icky.

• Content Provider

All that is to say, I am with UncleSash on this even though I don't know him. lucky1 is being a very fickle individual and I don't trust him.

I am 99% sure the hardware I have is from UncleSash, (it was given to me by someone else - thank you) and it's been solid for me. The software however has left a sour taste in my mouth and a knot in my stomach. What a huge disappointment. 

• Content Provider

Oh what a use less discussion. Anybody is free to use what ever version he or she wants. The decision of UncleSash to no longer support the project is his decision and I respect that.

The reasons behind that decision is more a private thing between Lucky and him and should not discussed in public. Nobody doesn't care anyways.

The project will be continued by Lucky & me and there will be updates and improvements and we are going to continue our charity program.

Nothing more to say. At least from my side.

Cheers Steve

Gesendet von meinem MotoG3 mit Tapatalk

• Content Provider

One additional on open source: it's not us that prevented this project being still open source. Its the guys who confuse open source with making money with someone else's IP and they care a shit on these open source licenses they just using your software and selling it.

• Content Provider

... and the charity donations make it easier to overcome these idiots. In our project the only difference between open source 

and closed source is the 10$ donation since nobody but Steve and me is contributing to the source.

It is not that we lock someone out who wants to contribute. We still offer access to anyone who wants to join us in the dev team.

• Content Provider

One additional on open source: it's not us that prevented this project being still open source. Its the guys who confuse open source with making money with someone else's IP and they care a shit on these open source licenses they just using your software and selling it.

This backward ass logic is killing me lol

• Content Provider

... and the charity donations make it easier to overcome these idiots. In our project the only difference between open source 

and closed source is the 10$ donation since nobody but Steve and me is contributing to the source.

It is not that we lock someone out who wants to contribute. We still offer access to anyone who wants to join us in the dev team.

Let's be real, and don't continue to call it a donation. This isn't charity-ware, it's not open source. It's an abomination and I'm sad I was a vocal supporter of it in the beginning.

• Content Provider

So your saying that our work was good enough to use it for free but is not good enough for a donation for a good reason ?

Says a lot about your character. If you are that ideologic, why are you not consequent enough to stop using pin2dmd and

use a monitor again or come up with your own solution ? How come that all these noble discussions 

about open source are obviously about not getting it for free anymore instead of not having access to the source for contribution.

Maybe I´m just not open minded enough to ignore the suckers which want to make money out of my work.

• Content Provider

Nice to see, how people react...

Some are so typical german...

@Lucky1:

please delete in the next 16 hours, all documents / instructions from the Pin2DMD GitHub page, they are made by my Person.

Also the Eagle Files and Shopping Cart Files.

They are all adjusted, made with my libraries, with my copyrighted pictures or simply made by myself!

I don't want my Name any longer on your GitHub page or Pin2DMD dot com page!!!

You are also not allowed to use any text or pictures from my Instructions!

The uploaded Instructions in this Forum are allowed to stay, because the people here knows how the community and OpenSource works.

I can and will change the Instructions (names and links) in 2 weeks, when I am back home in the states.

For the record, it is *NOT* a 'charity donation' for us. We are paying *you*, not this 'charity'. What you do with the money, well, we're taking your word what you do with it, and for those in the US, it's not a tax writeoff, which is the definition of a 'charity donation'. (Granted, noone writes off $10..)

• Content Provider

You are right Coyote. Because you get a value back for it it can´t be named donation for you.

Donations are without countervalue. But since it ends up all in a donation for our supported charity projects

it is easier to call it donation instead of "collection of payments for activation keys which is then 100% forwarded into a charity donations".

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

It's not that hard...
There are several options to buy from pinballsp, unclesash, my shop. And if you need help we will help you with your questions.

...and you don't need to burn some boards ;)
The new set is really easy to handle as it features some "power thiefs" like we say here. Get it on your 12v rail and you're done.

Not that complicated :)

Greetings,
Dom

• 2 months later...

I just got mine installed in TSPP and DESW and sooo freaking cool!!!! Big thanks to all who have gotten this project this far!

In Star Wars I'm just using blue in the palette options and it looks great!  Except... is a Data East dmd wider than others? The right few vertical rows are cut off. The left side has one blank row before high score initials but also has a lot of "articifacts" in that left most row. Any ideas/insights?

Archived