Pin2Dmd Color - Pindmd Compatible Interface With Led Rgb Color Dmd

lucky1

• Content Provider

one small highlight....

With Header Boards we have:

• 20 User rev 1.1
  • 10 User rev 1.2
  • 20 User rev 1.3 in a couple weeks
  • 40 (arround) for RappelBox Header Board in Europe (may be he provide me this number to show off a little bit)
  • many user with just the STm controller and home made cable solution
That makes a Total from miminum:

90 Pin2DMD User all over the world (yes I send some to Canada, Europe and Australia!!!)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

With the SD Card, does there need to be a palette.dat file of some sort already on the card in order to pass the check (red LED off)? I'm running a SanDisk 1Gb that I pulled from my old Blackberry and reformatted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For use with vpin there is no need for SD card at all. Everthing is uploaded in the fly when a specific game is started.

For real pins the pin2dmd.dat file controls device mode and default palette.

To create it upload device mode and Palette once with the pin2dmd.exe tool while SD card is inserted. The controller will save a pin2dmd.dat file in the card.

To use dynamic pal switching use the editor and copy the palette.dat file on the SD card with your PC.

See Video tutorial

Cheers Steve

Hello, I just got my displays running, but I’m having a couple of issues I’m hoping someone can help me with.

1)      When connected it to a STERN or Williams machine, I get a small amount of ‘glitching’, it looks like the image jumps one row over, not all the time, it’s intermittent.

2)      I used the tool to set the color, machine type, and brightness, then save it, but it does not display it in the color I chose, it looks like it displays with the default pallete. Is there a different file that needs to go with the pin2dmd.dat file on the SD card to display only one color?

Thanks for your help!

• Content Provider

Hello, I just got my displays running, but I’m having a couple of issues I’m hoping someone can help me with.

1)      When connected it to a STERN or Williams machine, I get a small amount of ‘glitching’, it looks like the image jumps one row over, not all the time, it’s intermittent.

2)      I used the tool to set the color, machine type, and brightness, then save it, but it does not display it in the color I chose, it looks like it displays with the default pallete. Is there a different file that needs to go with the pin2dmd.dat file on the SD card to display only one color?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Don,

1) A video of the "glitching" would be great to better understand what you mean with it. Also which machines exactly would be of help.

2) To be honest, I never ever tested the default palette setting with a real pinball machine. I will do that tomorrow and

come back to you.

Regards

Lucky1

Thank you for the quick response!!!

The machines I'm using it on are World Cup Soccer 94, and Stern Star Trek.

Here is a link, you can see it the best around the 15 sec mark.

• Content Provider

Thank you for the quick response!!!

The machines I'm using it on are World Cup Soccer 94, and Stern Star Trek.

Here is a link, you can see it the best around the 15 sec mark.

I see. Steve has similar effects on his Dr.Who which seems to be related to the signal

quality coming out of the controller board (spikes). Unfortunately I can´t reproduce them on my machines

He has already investigated that on a oscilloscope but did´t have the time to test some

things to solve this. I´m pretty sure we will find the time and a solution for that in the near future.

Could you please make a video of the Star Trek connected to the PIN2DMD ?

• Content Provider

Seeing PIN2DMD being such a huge success in the community and having already more than 100 users realy makes me happy and made me recognize once again how privileged I am. Since this is a open source project where the contributors share their knowledge and time for free to make others happy and some of the users want to show how happy they are, by donating me money , I decided to pass that money to people who need it more than me. Friends of mine founded a charity project supporting children of the Shanzu Orphans Home in Kenya to give them a chance for a better life. They spend their complete holiday time to travel there and bring the donated money directly to where the help is needed. If you want to know more about it you can find more information here http://www.soh-kenya.de. I hope that many of you feel as privileged as I am and support them by donating for the fun you have with PIN2DMD.

Please use the donation button in my signature

In the sense of sharing means caring

Lucky1

• Content Provider

Regarding default palettes in real pinball machines: works without problems. Either with default setting in pin2dmd.dat or in palettes.dat if you use key frame mappings.

If you use both the palette setting in palettes.dat wins.

Regarding the glitches if you have some experience in electronics you could try to include resistors in series to serial data and serial clock coming from the pinball machine about 47 vor 100 Ohms

Best Steve

• Content Provider

Sorry but from what I can see in the files, there is nothing unusual. What's of course really hard to see or

evaluate are the correct values of the hashes, but as the editor does it right for me, I would expect it should also

work for you.

br Steve

• Content Provider

In a real pinball machines you typically need both. The one above should be palettes.dat controlling palettes and keyframes.

pin2dmd.dat in addition is needed to setup device mode.

Normally this second file is written to the SD card while setting up the mode via USB with the config tool.

SD card must be inserted while configuring mode.

Cheers Steve

Thanks, for some reason, it keeps defaulting to VGA, but I hard coded it to blue for now.

I'll give the resistors a try.

I was also having an issue with the SD card I was using, it was not initializing, so it would default the mode to zero. To give the card time to initialize, I increased the time in stm32_ub_sdcard.c in the void UB_SDCard_Init(void) from 10ms to 2 seconds. This take a tiny bit longer to boot, but it allows my card to work. Others having issues with different types of cards should try this.

for(Timer1 = 2000; Timer1; );

Here is a video of my ST glitching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeDa33oGfTo&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for your help!

• Content Provider

Played with my 1/32 scan 64x64 panel today and after fiddling around with the row signaling I finally got a picture. 

They use the same row signaling as the pinball DMDs. Maybe that could be a low-cost alternative

for SEGA Displays with 192x64 dots without the need of a CPU.

post-7772-0-29601900-1449860622_thumb.jpg

In a real pinball machines you typically need both. The one above should be palettes.dat controlling palettes and keyframes.

pin2dmd.dat in addition is needed to setup device mode.

Normally this second file is written to the SD card while setting up the mode via USB with the config tool.

SD card must be inserted while configuring mode.

Cheers Steve

the same file, but two different names ??

I have no idea how to do it: /

• Content Provider

the same file, but two different names ??

I have no idea how to do it: /

1. Connect your Interface to PC and power on with SD Card removed . (red LED should be on)

2. Put in SD Card

3. Start PIN2DMD.exe and either configure in WPC or in Stern mode.

4. Save config (red LED going off)

5. Remove SD Card and Copy palettes.dat file generated with PIN2DMD editor to SD Card.

6. Put card back into interface

7. Connect to pinball machine and power on (red LED off, blue LED flashing when pinball machine on)

Archived