Pin2Dmd Color - Pindmd Compatible Interface With Led Rgb Color Dmd

lucky1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was the first one to publish code driving a pinball display using an ardunio. Not driving a colour display. Or driving a display using pinMAME.

Nothing wrong at all with what lucky1 new code does hes written it him self (i hope?) which i respect and hes figured out you can use the advertising sign dmds for a pinball dmd (i also had the same thought earlier this year) but it still using my work. To give his new colour dmd full potential he will have to write his own pinmame driver (like i have had too) If he does this it will be totally disconnected from pinDMD and he can call it his own.

• Content Provider

Just to make clear how it went, here is my E-Mail conversation about using the discovery board with the pindmd firmware from Russel.

I just tried it and it worked, which is totally legal for private use. Was not that hard to find out that he used SPI1 for serial DMD communication.

That is the information I shared in the german forum, but e.g. I never posted the pinout. A few weeks after that, vpin-shop started to sell this alternative,

which is not legal without the approval of the owner. That was also discussed here. I´m not at all related to this shop.

Seeing this discussion about it, talking about working hours, I thought how hard can it be, and started my own project.

The mcu code took about 2 days, to make it work with pinMame. The part of PinMame I used is opensource.

With total respect to the work you did there, I didn´t know that I´m not allowed to use that

without your approval, to develop something similar or new.

Hello

I have sold the pinDMD IP to virtuapin and currently have nothing to do with it, so there will not be any new versions from me. The dev kit you linked to is actually yhe kit i used to develop the pinDMD2 and is the same hardware the production one uses. I cant give out any info about it as its not mine to give out any more. Best place to start would be the APD-128G032 datasheet

http://www.vishay.com/docs/37006/apd128g.pdf

This has all the timing diagrams and pinout of the display.

Or you could go down the propeller route and just use the module that has already been written.

http://www.benheck.com/run-your-pinball-dmd-with-a-parallax-propeller/

Regards

Russell Pirie

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, March 27, 2015 9:07 PM

To: pinDMD

Subject: Re: PinDMD Board in Europe

Sorry to disturb you again.

Do you think I can use this board

http://www.ebay.de/itm/151289777040

with your firmware to drive the panel ?

Yes i clearly stated i was not sharing anything about the project. Yet you still put my firmware onto a dev board then djoke tried to sell it. Right here you give out the pins pinDMD uses!

Mein erster Versuch wird

PA0 - Pin1 DMD

PA1 - Pin3 DMD

PA2 - Pin5 DMD

PA3 - Pin7 DMD

PA4 - Pin9 DMD

PA5 - Pin11 DMD

GND - GND

Mal sehen ob ich damit ne Waschmaschine gewinne.

I spent thousands developing pinDMD2 to be a 100% plug and play kit that supports multiple displays and pinMAME pinballx and future pinball and other software. Its a complete kit from the board to the drivers to the install guide.

Its annoying to have it ripped off then tried to be made open source.

• Content Provider

Yes i clearly stated i was not sharing anything about the project. Yet you still put my firmware onto a dev board then djoke tried to sell it. Right here you give out the pins pinDMD uses!

Mein erster Versuch wird

PA0 - Pin1 DMD

PA1 - Pin3 DMD

PA2 - Pin5 DMD

PA3 - Pin7 DMD

PA4 - Pin9 DMD

PA5 - Pin11 DMD

GND - GND

Mal sehen ob ich damit ne Waschmaschine gewinne.

I spent thousands developing pinDMD2 to be a 100% plug and play kit that supports multiple displays and pinMAME pinballx and future pinball and other software. Its a complete kit from the board to the drivers to the install guide.

Its annoying to have it ripped off then tried to be made open source.

Come on Russel , you know that this pinout is not the right one.

It was just a guess and not the real pinout used by your firmware.

And many others spend thousands of hours to improve Virtual Pinball, don´t

get a cent and you benefit from it. Think about it.

• Content Provider

Come on Russel , you know that this pinout is not the right one.

It was just a guess and not the real pinout used by your firmware.

And many others spend thousands of hours to improve Virtual Pinball, don´t

get a cent and you benefit from it. Think about it.

not to speak of the engineers that did the real hard work to develop to original pinball machines and artworks, which are the main reason for playing virtual pinball. most tables are of course all recreation tables played with original roms / gamecode / animations / sounds.

• Content Provider

Do you have proof that he is using your code or are you just throwing a fit because he posted something similar to what you've been working on before you could post it? There's no indication that you were working on a rgb display prior to this morning... So it's time to prove that he is a) using your software and B) profiting from it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I give up arguing as im clearly on my own here.

If lucky1 hadnt publicly posted details how to clone the pinDMD2 i wouldnt of had a problem and would of even helped him with any of his projects as long as they did not conflict with my own.

We are very very similar with our interests. But i guess see things very differently.

• Content Provider

The answer is also quite simple, the source code for this demo is public, see this post here: http://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/showpost.php?p=1295912&postcount=7

or in english https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flippermarkt.de%2Fcommunity%2Fforum%2Fshowpost.php%3Fp%3D1295912%26postcount%3D7&edit-text=

I've compiled it on my own and its really simple, just use the arm gcc tool chain and connect a standard led dmd to the discovery board. Using china LED panel is easy too, you just have 

to adjust the updateDMD function to directly address rows via 4 gpio pins instead of using row clock. of course with this simple proof of concept there is no smart colorization, but one

can use default palettes or just use "grey scale" in any color you like.

br steve

• Content Provider

The answer is also quite simple, the source code for this demo is public, see this post here: http://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/showpost.php?p=1295912&postcount=7

or in english https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flippermarkt.de%2Fcommunity%2Fforum%2Fshowpost.php%3Fp%3D1295912%26postcount%3D7&edit-text=

I've compiled it on my own and its really simple, just use the arm gcc tool chain and connect a standard led dmd to the discovery board. Using china LED panel is easy too, you just have 

to adjust the updateDMD function to directly address rows via 4 gpio pins instead of using row clock. of course with this simple proof of concept there is no smart colorization, but one

can use default palettes or just use "grey scale" in any color you like.

br steve

And russ's is not. I cannot compare them. I don't have a PinDMD to compare it to.

• Content Provider

you don't need to have one. you can simply look at the source code. On the one side there is the input data that comes from pinmame. The source code is open see here: https://github.com/tomlogic/pinmame/tree/proc_unix/src/pindmd. Its described in detail what is send over the usb port, each frame with 2052 byte for normal size dmds

header is 

frame_buf[0] = 0x81; // frame sync bytes frame_buf[1] = 0xC3;   frame_buf[2] = 0xE7;  

frame_buf[3] = 0x0;

followed by the 2048 byte payload 4 planes of 128x32 pixel. This in read by the source referenced in the post see above and simply feed out to a standard dmd interface via

spi to serial data / serial clock, row clock and data, display enable is driven by gpio pins. and that's all. nothing in this source is somehow related to pindmd.

if you wanna use china advertising panels instead of xpin / led dmds it is essentially replacing row clock / data by addressing rows with 4 bit addresses for a 1/16 scanning panel like

this: http://de.aliexpress.com/item/Low-price-wholesale-P2-5-high-bightness-led-module-160-80mm-16scan-160000dots-m2/32433864226.html

br steve

• Content Provider

I give up arguing as im clearly on my own here.

If lucky1 hadnt publicly posted details how to clone the pinDMD2 i wouldnt of had a problem and would of even helped him with any of his projects as long as they did not conflict with my own.

We are very very similar with our interests. But i guess see things very differently.

I think I simply just misunderstood the e-mail conversation we had and thought

that you don´t care about pindmd anymore. I totally understand your anger about selling

a clone using your software without your approval but that has nothing to do with 

me. I really hope that you have success with pinDMD3 an get at least your invest back. 

The difference is that for me it is a hobby and for you it is business.

Maybe we drink a beer some time and laugh about it.

Cheers.

• Content Provider

Problem with Colordepth is solved. Thanks Steve45 for the hint. So far it is no problem to chose from 4096 Colors or have 16 shades for the different colors.

At the moment I change colors with a button on the devboard. Will be a software setup option which can be used by the e.g. pinballx preload feature.

Goal that can be achieved so far

- colordepth 12bit or more (just found a routine for 33bit which has to be tested)

- colormapping for 4bit Stern SAM ROMs. Assign one color to each of the 16 shades.

- colormapping for old 2bit ROMs. Assign one color to each of the 4 shades like colorization option form pinmame.

- interface for RGB China panels

- interface for standard pinball panels (single color)

- USB interface for PinMame

maybe:

- upload up to 254 palettes and assign through in-frame method used by SmartDMD (8bit in the upper left corner)

interface for classic pinballs WPC / STERN etc compatibel

- Interface board swappable if we get a new panel

- opensource firmware

Here is a new video showing single color usage

Video 16 Farbstufen / 4096 Farben

greetz

Lucky1

Archived