Pin2Dmd Color - Pindmd Compatible Interface With Led Rgb Color Dmd

lucky1

You can also set one of the 7 default preloaded colors executing "pin2dmd.exe /p 1" ... "pin2dmd.exe /p 7" before you start the table. 

Hi Lucky1, it works in shifting the palette but when I run the tabel the VPinMAME takes over... :(

Guess I have to use the scripted palette change?

Cheers

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry to be asking what I'm sure is stupid questions, but I have been looking for an answer or some kind of tutorial for the last 2 or 3 days. So please excuse what I'm sure is a stupid request / questions. First let me say, I'm working on building a 3 panel cabinet. I have most of the work done building the cabinet and all the hardware. Now I'm trying to configure the software and that's my biggest challenge.

I have all my components from UncleSash and my DMD. I did the firmware upgrade as described in detail by Lucky1. Great work guys. I was successful in updating the firmware and I have my DMD showing the default PIN2DMD Open Source logo. I also have Visual Pinball displaying 2 screens - my playfield and back panel.

Here's where my problem is, I can not figure out how to get any of the tables to display on the DMD. It is almost like my computer doesn't see the DMD but the drivers installed successfully. I have literally no idea what the problem is. I do not see any options in visual pinball or pinmame to display on a DMD. Can someone help me with this because I'm at a complete loss. It looks like I only have 2 displays to utilize but I do have 3 (TV - playfield, monitor - back pane, and then the PIN2DMD DMD). What am I missing to get it displayed? Is there a detailed tutorial to setup 3 panel cabinets somewhere? Do I need to install another piece of software like HyperDMD or something to utilize the DMD? Right now, I just have Pinball X, Visual Pinball, and pinmame installed.

Thanks for any help. I definitely want to add color to the DMD as my next step, but right now, I'm just trying to get the default DMD material to display.

• Content Provider

First you should test if USB is working. Start pin2dmd.exe from github. If you don´t get an error when you start USB is O.K.

Second enable PIN2DMD in PinMAME using F1 button in when the table is running. Check PINDMD output , save and

press F3 to restart table. If this is not working you have the wrong pinmame.

I do have the USB drivers working. The pin2dmd.exe does work without error. When I press F1, I do not receive any options for PinMAME. Could you share what version of PinMAME I need? I'm assuming I want the cabinet version which is 2.5. This cabinet 2.5 version is the version I've been trying to use.

Thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate it.

Not entirely sure what's going on with my system. I do have the ability to hit F1 and select DMD and restart the table. This took me some time because of a dll issue. But I got it working. However after selecting the DMD from F1, the DMD does not show up on the DMD. The DMD still has the default PIN2DMD lit up. Any idea why this would not be sending the video to the display. I did notice when I run pin2dmd.exe it lists vga0. I'm assuming that's correct?

Thanks for your help.

I think I must be an idiot or something. I'm a little closer to getting it to work (I hope), but still lost or something getting it to display the DMD from tables. Here's what I've done so far. I do have the default PIN2DMD Open Source displaying correctly. First, I have the DMD plugged into the micro and the mini USB. I have 2 PIN2DMD listed in the my device manager and the USB drivers appear to be installed correctly. Having said that when I run pin2dmd.exe and try changing to monochrome or something, nothing actually happens on the LED display, but I do not get any errors from the application.

I do have the right version of vPinMAME running. When I go into default settings, I do have the option for Use PinDMD checked and cabinet Mode checked. I do not have Use DMD checked. The only difference in my options is Samplerate which is at 48000. In Visual Pinball when I go into a table, the table loads including the back. I do have the option to hit F1 which shows that vPinMAME is configured correctly. I'm not sure if I need to set anything by right mouse clicking in the back panel. I've tried various settings for hide, visible, and standard DMD. I don't think this has anything to do with it, but at this point I'm literally just trying different things.

Is there only certain tables this will work with? I've tried Spiderman (2007), AC/DC, Apollo 13, and a couple of others.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong. I tried downloading the dmd editor by Lucky1 the time shows up in the editor but it's not displaying in the LED, not sure if it's suppose too. But that's just something I noticed.

I'm really at a loss guys. Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help.

• Content Provider

You have 2 devices in device manager, there needs to be one. You need to do the fix outlined in the installation guide.

Download the Driver Fix installation guide from this post http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2269-pin2dmd-instructions-and-howtos/?p=24997

then follow the instructions to remove the second device, then you should be good to go.

Freneticamnesic that was exactly what was wrong. It's working exactly right now! Thanks for the help. I was starting to really get frustrated. Thanks again. And thanks Lucky1. Truly appreciate all the help.

One quick question, is there a way to have something displayed as default on the DMD if the table doesn't support DMD?

Thanks again everyone.

• Administrators

Hey Guys. I got my boards and LCD's finally. Got everything installed. Showing only one instance of PIN2DMD.  I have verified that the screens are getting 5v. Both boards are getting power, but there is no display on the screens when I plug in the boards.  Powering the STM via USB mini and have USB micro connected.  However, I seem to be missing a driver. I've tried re-installing the STS driver as well as the Pin2DMD driver. Neither is working.

post-2-0-26356500-1451358019_thumb.png

Any suggestions?

Edit: I had my screens plugged into eachother incorrectly.  I am now getting the Pin2DMD logo, but still missing driver. When I run Test via PinMAME I get an Error "PinDMD cannot claim interface".

Also, if I restart the machine the DMD stays powered and the drivers do not load until I hit the reset button on the controller.

Hey Guys. I got my boards and LCD's finally. Got everything installed. Showing only one instance of PIN2DMD.  I have verified that the screens are getting 5v. Both boards are getting power, but there is no display on the screens when I plug in the boards.  Powering the STM via USB mini and have USB micro connected.  However, I seem to be missing a driver. I've tried re-installing the STS driver as well as the Pin2DMD driver. Neither is working.

attachicon.gifusb_Device.png

Any suggestions?

Edit: I had my screens plugged into eachother incorrectly.  I am now getting the Pin2DMD logo, but still missing driver. When I run Test via PinMAME I get an Error "PinDMD cannot claim interface".

Also, if I restart the machine the DMD stays powered and the drivers do not load until I hit the reset button on the controller.

You are having the same error as me. When I turn off my pc I always have to remove the regedit drivers line and import again from the fix drivers files from Sacha. I'm using Windows 10 and all my usb are 3.0 or 3.1

They are running in legacy mode.

After I do that, the Pin2DMD appears in USB Devices and not in Com Ports or the libhub. Just one Pin2DMD in Usb Devices. And then it will work.

But at this time, every time it happens, the Com Port increases, now I'm on port 11, from 4 to 11 are marked as in use. Damn it at this rate I will get all of them with that bug in windows. Because once is "in use" it stays like that. Even if I do the show all hidden devices and clearing them. http://theitbros.com/how-to-delete-com-ports-in-use/

I will try this next:

Before it gets in the 30's lol

So, in recap: Go to the github: https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/documentation

Download the Driver Fix and follow the instructions for regedit. Use the import. And it should now work. But let me know what happen when you turn off (completely) the PC and then turn it on. Do it stays in USB Devices as Pin2DMD or it goes again to Com Port?

• Administrators

So, in recap: Go to the github: https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/documentation

Download the Driver Fix and follow the instructions for regedit. Use the import. And it should now work. But let me know what happen when you turn off (completely) the PC and then turn it on. Do it stays in USB Devices as Pin2DMD or it goes again to Com Port?

No go on Windows 10.  I installed on my cabinet which is Win 7 x64 and had no issues at all.

• Content Provider

Found this

- Look for a new serial device (e.g. COM3).

- Choose to select a new driver, but do not allow Windows to search one, don't try to use the one from your disk (as this already failed), but choose that you want to select one of the available ones.

- Choose the PIN2DMD driver.

- Reboot

• Administrators

I had the same issue as you, dazz. Solved it by removing ALL devices in the registry as described in the fix from UncleSash. Mean, you also have to remove the VID_0314&PID_E457&MI_00 and the MI_01 also!

At least that worked for me. ;)

Did you import the new Pin2DMD registry? I deleted the first entry, but no MI_00 or MI_01. Win10 seems to have locked regedit as even running Regedit as Admin or System failed to Import the registry file.  I'll try deleting these tonight as well and see what happens.

Archived