Game Of Thrones - In Vp10 Sometime In 2017 :)

paulohotline

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure that Stern would release information, IF THEY GOT FINIANCIAL GAIN.  So the folks at Pinball Arcade may be able to get this information, as they sell tables for profit whilst playing royalties to copyright owners.

I know this is going to go off topic, but I remember Pinball Arcade promising a 'cabinet' version a long time ago.... 

Perhaps that is the way to go.  I would pay to have quality tables in my cabibet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

They can pull the dmd and sounds - I already used the pinbrowser to pull sounds for Whoa Nellie, but that is a long way from reverse engineering the rom code and then replicating it.

I wouldnt be surprised if a non-rom version of spike games came out first, like Whoa Nellie. 

The SPIKE system is much more powerful than the old hardware: 200-400MHz (don't know the details for the specific SPIKE hardware so far) vs 40MHz.

So emulating this will require at least more horsepower than before.

Also there is nobody really driving this forward currently (at least to my knowledge) to get this emulated (apparently the SAM hardware is not even fully figured out yet, so go figure).

And personally i'm more than busy with all the other pinball coding (and also don't know nothing about all the low-level emulation wizardry).

I don't see SPIKE ever getting emulated, but having the sounds and dmd images is a step in the right direction to a fun recreation. I think we'll have to settle for that. The Whoa Nellie recreation is proof that even though its not emulated it looks and plays fantastic in VP10.

The next STERN releases will begin using color assets so the size of the game assets will HUGE. Unfortunately SAM will be the end of the road for Stern emulation. That's not to say that have emulation for thousands of pinballs isn't enough. It is.

Just like you won't see emulation for WOZ, HOBBIT, PIN2K,FULL THROTTLE or ALIENS, you won't see emulation for SPIKE games. I'm more than satisfied with what the emulation/dev team has done, giving us enough tables to play for any mans lifetime. Cheers.

They can pull the dmd and sounds - I already used the pinbrowser to pull sounds for Whoa Nellie, but that is a long way from reverse engineering the rom code and then replicating it.

I wouldnt be surprised if a non-rom version of spike games came out first, like Whoa Nellie.

Just got the latest pinballbrowser and making a recreation of a SPIKE game will be much harder now.

Under threat of copyright the author removed the export function from the tool, so now you can't export images or sounds from the SPIKE rom.

Oh well, guess someone will have to figure out a way to record the sounds and capture images. Bummer.

• Content Provider

Just got the latest pinballbrowser and making a recreation of a SPIKE game will be much harder now.

Under threat of copyright the author removed the export function from the tool, so now you can't export images or sounds from the SPIKE rom.

Oh well, guess someone will have to figure out a way to record the sounds and capture images. Bummer.

I did the sounds from pb, wasnt that hard. Yes the author took out the ability with the export key, but its not that hard to get around that limitation. the dmd is another story :-(

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an idea for the DMD:

It's probably been suggested before, but...

What if someone video recorded the Spike DMD going through all its various modes during gameplay? The VP "dmd" could then simply be a video window, shaped like a dmd, which played various files which were triggered by table hit events.

Of course you'd have to find a pretty great player to trigger every event on the original machine.

Or take the top glass off...

Going with UltraDMD not b2s animations.. atleast that's what I am playing with. The images are left on disk. And no, not all 17000 will be used in a recreation ..

Interesting. Can you pull the audio files too? If so, you will at least have the assets for the recreation and then you'd have to script all of the rules.

• Content Provider

Yes I pulled the audio for Whoa Nellie, so I can easily do that. There are however thousands of sounds .. only need a few dozen for a nice remake. Getting pf images is a bit of a challenge but its fun. I love to program so thats the neat part. Going to have to watch quite a bit of game play to figure things and to make some guesstimates on scoring. No way it could be anywhere near 100% authentic but playable..I dont know all the objects hidden under the plastics so I am doing some guess work. I have never done wire rails so I will play with that as well. The Gene mouth is functional - minus the 3d model which I would never be capable of doing.

[update: a bit hard to see but pulled in new ramps (learned just enough to do it :-), the ultradmd for the video/scoring, and a real quick directb2s]

post-5615-0-97480500-1448033622_thumb.jpg

post-5615-0-80748100-1448128569_thumb.jpg

Speaking of Game of Thrones -- I happened to be visiting Oakland Ca. when Game of Thrones pinball dropped on the High Life Bar (with a "secret" pinball room upstairs). Strangers were literally high fiving, buying each other games, and strategizing together about how to score highest on each mode, etc. Amazing game, fantastic scene, and a wonderful bar. Check it out if you're in the Bay Area!

Archived