Addressable Rgb's

randr

BTW, if you plan to have a matrix with 8 strips, there are 8x8 matrix on sale at ebay, directly from China, quite cheap. Same price for 9 pieces as 8 strips each 50 cm. Easier to solder, as they have 3 pins on each side (below, so they fit directly together). I only have place for a matrix of 4.

For strips: Look more for the price as for the length. And if possible not waterproof, that's often cheaper - and easier to solder.

Do you have a link for these matrixes? The only ones i find are rainbowduino-variants which have 16 pins (single colour) or 32 pins (RGB) and need a rainbowduino. These can be linked but are more expensive afaik than a ledstrip.

• Content Provider

Hi folks

Here is somewhat improved preview version of DOF R3: http://pinball.weilenmann.net/DirectOutput_V0.9_Build_5764.18938.zip

The docu on this prerelease (still not corectly labeled) can be found here: http://pinball.weilenmann.net/docu/DirectOutputWIP/index.html

Docu on the TeensyStripController is here: http://pinball.weilenmann.net/docu/DirectOutputWIP/outputcontrollers_builtin.html#use_DirectOutput_Cab_Out_AdressableLedStrip_TeensyStripController

I hope this fixes the problems you have experienced. The new version contains some bugfixes (thanks to Westworld for pointing me into the right direction), improved error logging, a new config option for the teensy controller to set the timeout for the comport and a improved communication routine for the Teensy controller.

Please try if version works for you. Any feedback is appreciated. 

Please do check if this version does also work properly if you play several different tables. At least in the past, there have been situations where the com port was reported as not present or already open when DOF tried to open the com port of the Teensy. This happend mainly after several tables had been played. During my latestest tests, I did not have that problem, but it might be possible that it still occurs on other hard- and software combinations.

Gotcha. Installed new DOF - all worked. And yes, I reinstalled your original Teensy code, still all worked.

Started several tables with 991, PM5, X, in different orders. Quit in different ways, whatever I tried - it worked!

That's it. Everybody with strips - wake up and go playing :-)

Just: I have some "ghost" lights. Usually all red, blue or green, allover the place. Single leds. Anybody else seeing that or is that something in mysetup?

It doesn't worked to me..  :(

The dof connects to the teensy and it gets disconnected.. (i have win 10.)

2015.10.13 21:43:03.062	TeensyStripController LedStripController updater thread  has connected to TeensyStripController LedStripController.
2015.10.13 21:43:10.062	Finishing framework
2015.10.13 21:43:10.062	Finishing cabinet
2015.10.13 21:43:10.062	Debug: Finishing output controllers
2015.10.13 21:43:10.078	TeensyStripController LedStripController updater thread  has disconnected from TeensyStripController LedStripController and will terminate.
2015.10.13 21:43:10.078	TeensyStripController LedStripController finished and updater thread stopped.

I'm not a DOF expert, just starting (only with ledstrip), but the cabinet.xml looks strange for me.

Are you using Artnet (is the Teensy connected via Ethernet) or via USB? Your settings indicate it is connected via COM3, and it seems to respond there, but you define OutputControllers Artnet for Ledwiznumber 100. And there 7 nodes.

The log looks for me as you would have two ini files:

2015.10.13 22:06:30.950 Loading LedControl file C:\Pinball\Visual Pinball\Tables PM5\directoutputconfig100.ini
2015.10.13 22:06:31.249 Loading LedControl file C:\Pinball\Visual Pinball\Tables PM5\directoutputconfig8.ini

100 is the number for Artnet - with 7 notes.

In the cabinet you also define LedStripController - with 30 leds.

Below you have 4 parts of strips
Backboard with 30, Right with 5, Left with 10, Buttons with 5 ?

Finally you assing them to a ledwizequivalent 30 ???

Either I don't understand the concept totally - or you are in the same position as I was 3 weeks ago. Seeing different examples and trying to put everything together - and wondering why nothing works.

How is your hardware? A pinscape controller defined as ledwizequivalent 8, correct?
And an USB connected Teensy on Com3?
With how many leds? And how many on which side?

Following as example my config, only ledstrips.
Ledstrips defined as 30, so directoutputcongif30.ini is needed, not 100.ini !!!!

I have 4 strips, twice 128 (left + right) and a matrix of 4 x 72, connected as 2 x 144.

This is defined on top, in TeensyStripController. Just the connection is defined here.

Below in LedStrip the position in the cabinet AND the byte position is defined.
My first strip is the left side, so "FirstLedNumber" is 1.
2nd strip is right side, so "FirstLedNumber" is 129 (left strip 128 + 1)
3rd strip is top, so FirstLedNumber 128+128+1 = 257

Finally, LedWizEquivalent, defines the 3 part to OutputNumbers, as used in the config tool to create the directoutputcongfig30.ini

Hope this helps....

<?xml version="1.0"?>
  <Name>Kiss</Name>
   <OutputControllers>

<TeensyStripController>
          <Name>LedStripController</Name>
          <NumberOfLedsStrip1>128</NumberOfLedsStrip1>
          <NumberOfLedsStrip2>128</NumberOfLedsStrip2>
          <NumberOfLedsStrip3>144</NumberOfLedsStrip3>
          <NumberOfLedsStrip4>144</NumberOfLedsStrip4>
          <NumberOfLedsStrip5>0</NumberOfLedsStrip5>
          <NumberOfLedsStrip6>0</NumberOfLedsStrip6>
          <NumberOfLedsStrip7>0</NumberOfLedsStrip7>
          <NumberOfLedsStrip8>0</NumberOfLedsStrip8>
          <ComPortName>COM4</ComPortName>
        </TeensyStripController>

</OutputControllers>

<Toys>

<LedStrip>
 <Name>Ledbar Center</Name>
 <Width>72</Width>
 <Height>4</Height>
 <LedStripArrangement>RightLeftTopDown</LedStripArrangement>
 <ColorOrder>GRB</ColorOrder>
 <FirstLedNumber>257</FirstLedNumber>
 <FadingCurveName>SwissLizardsLedCurve</FadingCurveName>
 <OutputControllerName>LedStripController</OutputControllerName>
</LedStrip>
<LedStrip>
 <Name>Ledbar Left</Name>
 <Width>1</Width>
 <Height>128</Height>
 <LedStripArrangement>TopDownLeftRight</LedStripArrangement>
 <FirstLedNumber>1</FirstLedNumber>
</LedStrip>
<LedStrip>
 <Name>Ledbar Right</Name>
 <Width>1</Width>
 <Height>128</Height>
 <LedStripArrangement>TopDownLeftRight</LedStripArrangement>
 <FirstLedNumber>129</FirstLedNumber>
</LedStrip>

<LedWizEquivalent>
      <Name>LedWizEquivalent 30</Name>
      <Outputs>
      <LedWizEquivalentOutput>
          <OutputName>Ledbar Left</OutputName>
          <LedWizEquivalentOutputNumber>1</LedWizEquivalentOutputNumber>
      </LedWizEquivalentOutput>
      <LedWizEquivalentOutput>
          <OutputName>Ledbar Right</OutputName>
          <LedWizEquivalentOutputNumber>7</LedWizEquivalentOutputNumber>
       <LedWizEquivalentOutput>
          <OutputName>Ledbar Center</OutputName>
          <LedWizEquivalentOutputNumber>4</LedWizEquivalentOutputNumber>

</Outputs>
      <LedWizNumber>30</LedWizNumber>
    </LedWizEquivalent>

</Toys>
</Cabinet>

• Content Provider

@gech:

Westworld is right. You cabinet config does indeed look a bit strange. If you cant solve the problems with Westworlds suggestions, please post a more details on the output controllers (type of controllers, if applicable number or ID of the controller) and connected toys (for ledstrips detail info like the number of leds on the different strip segments. order of the strip segments, port of the Teensy and so on are helpfull)  in your cab.

Maybe it is also a good idea to check out the following page: http://pinball.weilenmann.net/docu/DirectOutputWIP/configexamples.html

It contains a few example cabinet configs.

Thanks for looking.

I use an arduino as artnet. But it wasn't plugged during tests but I had 2 other that were plugged. Maybe a conflict between them.

I will give another try unplugging every controller except teensy when I'll get home (I am at work..).

Ok, so i get it working in DirectOutputConfigTester with all my arduinos plugged on, but not with Visual pinball. 

In vp only my pinscape is responding..

My 1st mistake was no directoutputconfig30.. (i also removed the artnet part and reviewed the leds order..)

edit:

My config is a pinscape controller as ledwiz 8, a teensy, and 2 arduinos. I only got a 30 leds strip for test purpose plugged in the teensy on ledstrip 1. the teensy is com3 (arduinos are com 4 and 10)

edit 2:

Oh yeah !!!

Got it working in vp copying the cabinet config file from C:\DirectOutput\config to C:\Pinball\Visual Pinball\Tables PM5.

Edit3: the leds are still on when leaving the table.. not a big deal though..

Again big thank to swisslizard.. it's like magic when it works

the leds are still on when leaving the table

yes, sometimes they are off, sometimes on. Best is to try to quit when all is off.

I fear that is a followup issue already seen when B2S server was developed. Sometimes VP does not tell the controller to quit or it does not quit correctly. We saw crashes with B2S in that phase.

controller.stop() helped most of the cases.

And the same seems to happen here. stop() does not help, I already tried that.

Worst what could happen is to have a lot of lights on - and you quit to do something in setup, need to wear sun glasses to see something.

So far the only idea I had is to modify the Teensy code to use a kind of timeout. If nothing is received for 5 seconds - set all leds to black.

• Content Provider

@gech:

Thanks for the videos. :)

I'm not sure, but at first sight it seems that the config for the pf side strips config is not 100% perfect yet (Bit hard to judge from the vids). You might want to check if the width for the pf sides is really 1 and the height the number of leds you have.

I only have back playfield + 9 leds as right playfield side (just to see the launch button action in fact)... and nothing on the left..

the strip I use for test is 50 cm with 60 led/m so only 30..

I have 5meters of 72 led/m waiting for a cab.. I'm working on it.. 

I got in stock : 60 , 72 and 144 led/m plus a matrix (32*8).. I should make a comparison video..

thanks a lot for the new DOF version, now all my strips are working!

Here a movie, 128 leds left + right, 72x4 on top

Sorry for quality, camera is missing wide angle, I tried to make different shots, showing total, upper and lower playfield. Tripod on top of cabinet did not improved my playing...

Indeed looking great! I'm a bit confused now: there is talk about Arduino's, KL25Z, Teensy's. What do i need exactly to get this setup running? I've already got 2 arduino's and a KL25Z. All that is missing is the ledstrips and a seperate powersource. What am i missing besides those things? How do i attach everything together?