Addressable Rgb's

randr

• Content Provider

Here is a short video showing the TeensyStripController outputing a new effect of DOF:

And even better, here is the Github repository for the firmware of the TeensyStripController:

https://github.com/DirectOutput/TeensyStripController

Keep in mind that the currently published DOF R2 does not work with this controller. DOF R3 will support that controller once it is released,

That video looks sweet swisslizard!

Obviously strip placement are subjective and the effect combination too numerous.

For those that already have addressable strip LEDs what would you suggest as being a minimum. Ie:

Undercabinet

Sides above screen 1 or 2 rows each

Rear behind screen a matrix of rows (I already have a 5 flasher array. Should I replace it?)

• Content Provider

For adressable ledstrips I recommend the following setup:

PF Back

Ledstrips with 60 or more leds per meter.

As many rows as you like. I recommend at least 3 or even better 5 rows. With less rows the more sphisticated effects will not show all their beauty. Btw, 9 rows has already been tested by Randr, its looking phantastic.

Regarding flashers:

I still have my flasher with the ledstrips mounted behind the flashers (Was pretty complicated to do). Like that I get the best of both worlds. If you have enough strips on the PF back, you can also remove the flashers and use a config will will simulate the flasher with the ledstrip array (not a reall flasher replacement, but much more versatile).

PF Left & Right

Ledstrips with 60 or more leds per meter.

1 row each side of the playfield. You can go for more, but configs will mainly target 1 row.

Undercab & more

Adressable ledstrips can be used under the cab (still want to do this) and in other places as well (e.g. I have a short segment to light my flipper buttons). However there are no configs for addressable undercab leds yet.

• Content Provider

Here is a bit on the flasher ledstrip combination:

The is a closeup of the front where you can see the 2 layers of frosted plexy which are great to get a diffuse effect. I made the 2 interlinked layers to ensure a steady airflow from the flayfield screen (that thing gets warm) to the fans on the cabinet back.The flasher caps are not mounted on the back. They are glued to the back if the white plexi. If you want to makke something like yourself, I recommend to check if you can get access to a laser cutter (maybe there is a Fablab not to far from you) to make the plexi parts.

IMG_1390.jpg

The same area from the back.

The 2 smal aluminum rails on top and bottom are carrying ledstrips. The big thing in the midle is basicaly a rectangular aluminium tube. The flasher leds sit on the front of the tube. Everywhere else where there are no crees on the front of the tube (picture is from the back) I have cut away the front and a part of the sides. The middle ledstrip is mounted on the inside of the tube. Like that there is just a very small area of the ledstrip, not much bigger then than a cree led, is not visible and the crees clearly stand off from the ledstrip background. 

Next thing I will do is to upgrade from 3 to 5 rows of leds. With 5 or more rows we can start to display text on the PF back. :)
IMG_1391.jpg

This is more for the colors, the PF back in action ;)
IMG_1398.jpg

• Content Provider

I know you don't have a exact date when dof R3 will be released, but is there any possibility that you can add the support to R2?

We are not far from DOF R3. Therefore adding this stuff to DOF R2 would be more work than just finishing DOF R3.

Great work!

i get a compilation error :-(

In file included from OctoWS2811Ext.cpp:34:0:
OctoWS2811Ext.h:37:24: fatal error: DMAChannel.h: No such file or directory
 #include "DMAChannel.h"
                        ^
compilation terminated.
Fehler beim Kompilieren.

Seems that some file (DMAChannel.h ?) is missing, try this https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/cores/tree/9288323459f58942bf2ac863437eb6a2afd65bb5/teensy3

Don't work any ideas?

Greetings

kalle

• Content Provider

@Karlson18:
Do you have the Arduino IDE and also the Teensyduino extension installed?
I have just installed all libs when doing the setup of Teensiduino (you can choose which libs to install).

As far as I know the DMA lib is a core component of the Teensy lib and should already be installed if you have installed Teensyduino.

Edit: I guess the place you have found on github is where the lib originaly came from. So if it is really missing, you can try to use that version (Havent tried that myself).

A little bit of soldering is necessary to install the Teensy on the WS2811 adaptor, but I should that should be doable for almost everone who is able to build a cab.

Hi Swisslizard,

could you post a wiring diagram ? would be grat and what kind of power suplpy do i need think i will drive 5 m 144 LED/m stripes ? I orderd a Teensy with the OctoWS2811 adaptor think it will arrive next week :) 

Have a nice weekend.

• Content Provider

@Karlson18:

5m of strip with 144leds per meter will require a PSU with at least 43.2A.

5 * 144 leds = 720 leds

720 * 60ma = 43200ma = 43.2A

Just to be sure, I would also go for a little extra power (With a lot of A and only 5V there is always a bit of power loss from the cabling and the strip itself). My choice would be a 55A PSU from Meanwell ( http://www.reichelt.de/Schaltnetzteile-Case-geschlossen/SNT-MW-SP320-05/3/index.html?ACTION=3&GROUPID=4959&ARTICLE=85213&OFFSET=500&WKID=0&).

The max power is only consumed when all leds are fully white which will very rarely happen. However, you should always calculate for the max power anyway. Otherwise operation might become unreliable.

I've read this complete topic from start to end and am totally amazed by what is happening here. Swisslizard is doing magic things with his solution :) . Before i start buying things to get ready to test it i'm a little bit confused what to buy. Here's my shoppinglist for now:

• x meter of WS2812 strip with 60/144leds per meter
  • Teensy 3.2
  • OctoWS2811 Adapter for Teensy 3.2
  • pins for attaching the boards together
  • cableing
  • Switching power supply, closed, 5V / 55A / 320W 

What's missing for me is the following info:

• How do i connect the power to the teensy/leds?
  • How to connect everything to the PC? Just USB?
  • Do i need fuses somewhere between the LEDstips and the teensy/pc?