Addressable Rgb's

randr

• 2 weeks later...

would it be possible to upload a table script as example?

I'm totally new to DOF, but getting close to connect ledstrips. My setup allow to connect 8 strips, targeting 150 LEDs per strip, should be enough...

This makes it easier to fit to several Art-Net Universe - and solve the frequency problem = higher FPS.

I start to understand how DOF settings works, a table script (with effects as seen in this videos) would help to make sure my setup is done correctly.

• Content Provider

@Westworld:

If you want to connect a lot of leds Artnet is maybe not the best option, since you will need a separate Artnet Universe for every 170 leds. This will make the cabinet config more complex. If you really want to go for Artnet, try to put all leds of a strip/matrix into the same universe. Otherwise you will have to create custom groups of toys/leds which can be used like strips/matrices in the cabinet config. This works well, but is not optimal in terms of performance and it is also quite a bit of work to configure in the cabinet config.

I'm a bit behind schedule regarding ledstrip controllers, but I have a new idea in the pipeline which would help to have something usable for everyone soon. Will post more details, as soon as I know that my idea is work resp. as soon as I hove done some first tests..

@Westworld:

If you want to connect a lot of leds Artnet is maybe not the best option, since you will need a separate Artnet Universe for every 170 leds. This will make the cabinet config more complex. If you really want to go for Artnet, try to put all leds of a strip/matrix into the same universe. Otherwise you will have to create custom groups of toys/leds which can be used like strips/matrices in the cabinet config. This works well, but is not optimal in terms of performance and it is also quite a bit of work to configure in the cabinet config.

I'm a bit behind schedule regarding ledstrip controllers, but I have a new idea in the pipeline which would help to have something usable for everyone soon. Will post more details, as soon as I know that my idea is work resp. as soon as I hove done some first tests..

Just a suggestion swisslizard and in no way meant as a pressure or nagging per say .... would this be something you would consider in need of a kickstarter fund? Or just someplace to send you some money to help with development costs? I am willing and I would think others would be willing to help out for the awesome technology.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

would this be something you would consider in need of a kickstarter fund? 

Yes, that would be good to know. For me it makes no problem to pay €50 for a ready to use board compared to €30 and spend days to get it to work.

Working on that was fun so far, but if you already invested money in creating a product, I don't want to interfere with that. All is based on your work...

When your board is a product and you have investments for it - no need to create something which could be seen as competition.

Then a kickstarter fund to help for startup investment should be the best way.

Else - I have absolutely no skills in C#, but looking on your code I got the idea to duplicate WS2811StripController.cs code and replace talking to FTD2XX.DLL with a generic approach. Either using something similar to Art.net (again just copying that code), just with 2-4kb packet size (to support larger strips) - or to use USB HID-RAW protocol, with 2-4 kb packet size, to get a simple, plug&play, no driver needed, way. Every device with a smart USB chip (like Arduino Micro or Teensy, etc) could be used.

Currently I'm unsure if I should continue or stop here. Vacation is over anyway :-(

I have added a bunch to the config tool. Simply select rgb controller in you config and generate config should have 130 or so tables with addressable rgb

That's so easy, I could not even imagine it work that simple. Many thanks again for that great tool and framework.

• Content Provider

would this be something you would consider in need of a kickstarter fund?

I have been considering this option as well. However, there are a few thing which are kind of prolematic to me if you would start to produce strip controllers as some kind of small business, e.g. I cant really guarantee that things will always work as expected (after all I'm a hacker or to name it more business compatible a software enigneer and electronic circuits are just something I do on best guess and hobby basis). 

Another important point to consider is the following: There were no other usable platforms for controlling those ledstrips (apart from a few in the svereal hundered bucks range) around when I started to develop my own controller. This has changed a lot during the past 2 years. There are a bunch of commercial, lowcost controller boards (dont like the limitations on most of them) and in addition there are some very good development boards which can easily handle the strips (for some there are even libs which do most of the led strip related work) and which do also have much more cpu power and ram than my construct (and which are even less expensive).

For this reason, I'm currently checking out other existing hardware platforms which can be made compatible with DOF with relatively small effort. Like that I can concentrate on developing good software to get things up and running (after all that is what I'm best at) and dont need to deal with all the issues which are connected to producing and selling hardware. Currently I'm checking out a bunch of options. As soon as I have a idea what would work well for the users and as well for my coding, I will for sure post in the forums.

Wouldn't apa104 and a arduino board do the same work? Limitation of the ws2812 is refresh rate.

I'm new to the whole concept of programmable LEDs, but this is what I figured out so far. A good basis for new ideas could be fastled library and its Google group ;)

Greets,

Dom

Sent from my Buschbongo using Patschehändes

Apa104 seems to be a little bit cheaper as Ws2812 if you purchase directly in China. Seems to be very similar, kind of China clone?

An Arduino can handle a short strip without issues. For another project I have 240 LED's connected, running fine.

Talking about 144 leds/meter with 4 meters (one left, one right, 4 x 50 cm as top matrix) is a different story.

That's 144 * 4 = 576 LED's * 4 byte = 2,3 kbyte, more than most Arduinos have as available RAM.

The free RAM and the CPU speed (72 MHZ) was the reason why I started with Teensy. Price is Euro 20-22 in Germany, so not a real difference to Mega (looking on the total price including Ledstrips).

So far I'm not sure if I should use FastLed library with 4 led strips - or OctoWS2812 library. This library is even faster than FastLed IF you use 8 strips of similar length.

I do not want to use 8 strips, as I don't want to split the strips on the side of they playfield.

I have a Teensy 3.1, necessary driver chips to push 3V to 5V should arrive soon. A new ordered Teensy 3.2 with OctoWS2812 shield board should arrive tomorrow.

Idea is to setup both at the weekend and compare the speed...

But just from reading I believe Swisslizard approach makes a lot of sense, as the OctoWS2812 shield is easy to use, preinstalled and the library is highly optimized. The idea to use Ethernet cables to connect strips is efficient and simple.

I expect the easiest and fasted solution is to use that board and connect 'only' 4 strips.

The price for Teensy+shield was €35 including next day shipment. The 4 meter 144/meter ledstrips was a different price level...

• Content Provider

Just had a quick look at the specs of the Apa104. Seems to be a WS2812 clone. At least the timing for the signals seems to be the same as for the WS2812.

I guess APA104 leds could even be driven with the same controllers as the WS2812.

My Teensy should arrive tomorrow. Dont know yet if I will find time to do some first tests before I leave for vacation by the end of the month.

• Content Provider

Good news!

clicking-your-heels-smiley-emoticon.gif

Got the Teensy this morning. Implementing the firmware and some additions for DOF have been surprisingly easy to do.

Teensy will definitively be supported by DOF. There is still some testing to been done and the firmware might needs some polishing as well.

The controller hardware supports 8 channels which can each control up to 1100 leds (8800 in total).

• Content Provider

That is correct.

I had ordered the Teensy 3.1, but got upgraded to the Teensy 3.2 anyway (bu sure to order the Teensy with Pins). In addition I'm also using the OctoWS2811 adaptor neohusky is mentioning.

A little bit of soldering is necessary to install the Teensy on the WS2811 adaptor, but I should that should be doable for almost everone who is able to build a cab.