Addressable Rgb's

randr

• Content Provider

you don't have much space left, how can you have more leds?

on the sides, you have plenty of space, you can have more rows that are shorter as long as you add rows on top of each one :)

+1 for plug and play kit :)

• Content Provider

Just to add my 2 cents:

For the leds behind the playfield I recommend to put some frosted, either which or light gray plexiglass in front of the leds. This will distribute the light a bit better and it also much friendlier for your eyes.

In my setup, I'm using 3 rows with 32leds (these are strips with 60 leds per meter). IMHO this gives a pretty decent effect, but you can basically go for any number of rows and columns. DOF will simply scal the effect to your led matrix. After all everything built of those leds is a matrix to DOF, even if it is only a single strip.

As someone mentioned above, there are option in DOF which allow you to use images as the source for your animations. Just keep in mind that this has not undergone a lot of testing, which means that bugs might be present.

@Swisslizard images seem to work just fine. Even did a animated gif test and worked perfect.

Going to also purchase 60 per meter led's so will demo as already seen 30 per meter(which is still cool) then will demo 60 per meter then 144 per meter

Price doubles from 30 to 60 to 144 so yes 144 per meter is spendy but will demo all

you don't have much space left, how can you have more leds?

on the sides, you have plenty of space, you can have more rows that are shorter as long as you add rows on top of each one :)

+1 for plug and play kit :)

matrix has in my video is made from cheap 30 led per meter strip.

so better strip = more leds per inch is all.

will demo 60 per meter and 144 per meter

More should be better :)

• Content Provider

I am curious to see how the 144led strips look!

Hope its not too bright.

A general remark for those who think about installing led strips in their cabs:

Choose a strong 5v powersupply for your cab. Strips with 60leds per meter consume up to 3.6A per meter. Strips with 144leds need up to 8.6A per meter. Meanwell powersupplies have worked well for me.

• Content Provider

Hmm, wonder if you will start hitting the limit on power that you can draw through a household circuit? In US, that's 20A although I've seen recommendations to keep the load under 16A. Well, I guess not everything will be turned on at once. If it is that big of a lightshow, I hope you have a quick exit plan. We'll assume that no news is bad news! ;)  

• Content Provider

:) There is no real need for such a option in the config tool :)

Most toys in DOF support fading curves which can be used to achieve a lower intensity using simple mappings.

Just check the docu on the strip controller for some sample xml: http://directoutput.github.io/DirectOutput/toy_builtin.html#use_DirectOutput_Cab_Toys_Hardware_LedStrip

DOF has some built in fadecurves, but you can also define your own curve. Here is the list of predefined curves: http://directoutput.github.io/DirectOutput/class_direct_output_1_1_general_1_1_curve.html#a258edf1501f05c0b5afe7d8aae4ed7a5

Keep in mind that using any kind of intensity reduction will always result in a loss of color depth. This can become noticeable on lower brightnesses (the lower brightness range is importent for nice fade effects).

• Content Provider

the custom intensity was already implemented for flashers, i have extended for the RGB PF toys, it is online ;)

so there are three ways to add an effect with a color

you put the color name directly : S48 Blue

you put the hexadecimal of the color without the alpha, then if you put S48 #FFFFFF in the configtool, if you have a custom intensity, let's say AA, it will become #FFFFFFAA

you put the hexadecimal of the color with the alpha, then if you put S48 #FFFFFFEE in the configtool, if you have a custom intensity, let's say AA, it will become #FFFFFFAA

• Content Provider

@Arngrim:

This great anyway. I always like if I have more than one way to achieve a goal.

@CarnyPriest:

No worries about the fueses in you house.The A/Ampere number is for 5Volts. For 220Volts or 110Volts in the US you get completely different A numbers.

As a example: I'm using Meanwell powersupplies which are rated for 30A at 5V (Thats a total of 150W/Watts you can consume). At 220V those power supplies consume up to 1.6A (thats mainly when the powersuplly starts) and on 110V they consume up to 3.2A.

So will the leds consume 3.6A if all three leds(white light) per meter are activated at the same time? So if I want to use 5M with 300 leds that's 3.6Ax5=18A @ max draw.. I'm gonna use a Cooler master GM 750m power supply to power all my toys its rated at 3.3V 22A 5V 22A 12V 62A. So that will work right? And If not I have a 24V 6.5A I can use to power the contactors to get some of the load off the supply..

• Content Provider

At least in theory your power supply should be OK. Power supplies do not all behave exactly the same when it comes to sudden peaks in terms of power consumption and power consumption of led strips varies a lot and changes often and fast depending on the displayed patterns. Anyhow the max rating applies only when all leds are fully on (all white), which doesnt happen to often.

Another important thing to keep in mind is the need to inject power into you strip in several places. I recommand to do this every 100-150 leds at least. Otherwise colors of the leds are not really the same on the whole length of the strip, the strip heats up considerably and operation might be unstable.