Capscreens Script Questions

I am using the capscreens video creation script from Carneypriest and have a couple questions:

1. How do I change which display it captures for the backglass? right now my BG is set to 3 and it is capturing # 2. Should I just switch the plugs around so BG is actually # 2 or is there a line in the script I can change to make it records off display 3?

2. I have well over 100 B2S BG videos that need to be replaced with a new video b/c they show the stupid grill thingy when the actual B2S don't have the grill. Is there a way to just update all at once or do I still have to run each one one at a time?

3. Last but not least, I don't understand how to make this work for multiple VP versions. I am running 9.2, 9.9, phys mod 5. and VP10. I see the reference to "For system use the ini header where you have defined your other Visual Pinball setups" but can someone please explain that in layman's terms? My script is attached.

capscreens.txt

• Content Provider

1. The information about screen locations are pulled from ScreenRes.txt. When I wrote the script, I had in mind that the screens would be arranged in the usual locations. Playfield on the left, BG in the middle and DMD on the right. With the top of the screens aligned on the same axis at y=0. That's how most people have the screens arranged for troublefree operation. It should not matter how Windows numbers the screens. Because of the way, I have screens plugged into my card, my DMD is screen 2, but I still keep it arranged to the right of the BG screen.

2. Check the VPU thread on this script. There is someone who posted a Python script to run the script in batch mode for all tables in a folder. Otherwise, you can still write a bat file fairly easily, but you would have to type in the file name for each table or extract a list from your xml file or something

3. Attach your pinballx.ini and then I can tell you exactly how to modify the script 

I tried rearranging the monitors in the video settings but then the dmd overlapped onto the b2s. I'm thinking I will need to get adapters so I can switch the BG and dmd monitor ports so that I have the popular config of 123 in stead of 132. dn think it would matter but it ain't cooperating with me as is. Let me know about the script when you have time. Thanks!

• Content Provider

I tried rearranging the monitors in the video settings but then the dmd overlapped onto the b2s. I'm thinking I will need to get adapters so I can switch the BG and dmd monitor ports so that I have the popular config of 123 in stead of 132. dn think it would matter but it ain't cooperating with me as is. Let me know about the script when you have time. Thanks!

I took the liberty of modifying the script based on how you have multiple VP executables set up in your ini. When you use the script, it will be looking for up to 2 arguments after you call the program:

capscreens.exe "table file name (in quotes)" ExeType

where ExeType takes on the values

92 if you want to use the executable for VP 9.2 Tables (70s and Older)

5 if you want to use the executable for PhysMod5

10 if you want to use the executable for VP 10 Tables

Any other value or blank will use the default executable which is 9.91

Now, this should work assuming that you are not using the new alternateexe fields for the xml files in the latest versions of PBX. That is, you have separate xml files for each of the VP executables.

capscreens (1).txt

Thanks so much for the script!. Weird, so I had the monitors positioned 1 3 2 from left to right and the dmd wanted to display on top of the BG. then I did it from top to bottom and the dmd does not display at all right now which is fine for now since I don't want them to display in the BG where I am doing the video. I will give the capscreens a shot on one now and report back. Thanks again.

Oh man, I'm just running into all sorts of issues tonight. OK, so moved the displays back to 1 3 2 from left to right in nvidia control panel and the video got created. However:

1. The DMD as indicated earlier, displays on the BG monitor on top of the BG so I had to quick move it to the other monitor

2. The video got created but the file was saved in the main BG video folder instead of the vp10 bg video folder (not a big deal)

3. The resulting video is now displaying partially of the screen instead of centered.

played with it more and cannot for the life of me get this to work right. Still don't understand why the b2s dmd is wanting to display on top of the bg so I have to move it (which will mean later I will have to reposition all of them again) and why the video is not centered on the screen when the BG plays correctly? Any input you can provide would be great. Thanks!

I tried both aspect ratio and full screen with same results on the BG video. It displays down and a bit to the right. I don't get it. Where is the x/y positioning pulling from, the script or the pinballx settings (ini)? see attached video settings. thanks

post-7341-0-25473400-1431787680_thumb.png

• Content Provider

May seem silly but line up screens in control panel of windows so tops are all aligned. May help your issue...

+1

Also, I can't tell which screens you are using for BG and which for DMD.

The standard positioning would be Playfield on the left, BG in the middle, and DMD on the right. Tops of each screen lined up on the same axis.

X and Y offsets and width and height of capture are all parameters that are read from screenres.txt.

The script assumes that you do not use multiple screenres.txt files.

Try lining up the screens as suggested. Also go ahead and attach your screenres.txt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

getting closer. evening the tops in windows display settings did improve, but the BG video is still not centered. Attached in my screenres file requested. But if it displays correctly when playing the table, which also reads from the screenres file, why would the video be off center? also, why does the dmd overlap the BG? By the way, my layout is playfield on left, then BG in middle, then DMD on right (in my display settings screenshot for nvidia settings.)

Thanks.

ScreenRes.txt

• Content Provider

The script assumes that the screens are set up in the standard arrangement with playfield on the left, BG in the middle, and DMD on the right and the top edges of all three screens aligned on axis y=0. It is evident from your screen set up and screenres.txt that you have the DMD in the middle. The BG offset is not going to have the correct values for ffmpeg to do the capture. Because I assume that the BG is in the middle, I tell fmpeg to start capturing the BG at coordinates with x position at the width of the playfield and y position at 0. From there, the width and height I pull from your screenres.txt.

The screenres.txt does not entirely make sense to me. There are offsets defined for displaying BG and DMD. Do you have bezels that you have to work around? Here's the primer I used for understanding the values of screenres.txt and what they do:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=19589

Playfield and DMD captures were commented out on the script. Are you only looking to capture BG?

All videos are saved to the default Visual Pinball folder. Just makes it easier for housekeeping as some tables are frequently updated to phys mod 5 or night mods or whatever. I keep just one example for each table. I don't want to deal with multiple versions of each table: night mod, day mod, physics mod, color mod, 2 player, 4 player, chrome ball, gold ball, blah, blah, blah

I use a different solution now, but when I had multiple VP systems and xmls. I used symbolic links for the alternate exe media libraries that point to the default library

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

I will check that doc out. Thanks. for now, yes, only doing BG videos though will have some VP10 tables I will need to do table videos for once I get all the BG replacements done. A bunch of my BG videos include the stupid fake grill which I don't want. Most of my BGs don't have a grill since my cab has a real one w/ speakers. Thanks for the help. I will be in touch if other questions popup.

Archived