What Front End Do You Currently Use On Your Pincab?

Dazz

What front end do you currently use on your Pincab?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. What front end do you currently use on your Pincab?

• HyperPin
    • PinballX
    • Other - Please explain

• Content Provider

pinballx, i used hyperpin in the past, now in pinballx the browsing is faster, the boot is faster, i can browse letter by letter with the magnasave button, no focus problem, no need to mess with ahk script to change some parameters, i don't use game manager and it's not a problem, dof is integrated with it (i display the rgb flippers and undercab, still experimental, waiting for swisslizard to finalize)

will welcome hp 2.0 if one goes out one day ;)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hyperpin 1.048 (old version for more than a year).  Updated to Hyperpin 1.295 Wip10 about 4 weeks ago.  This has allowed so many more tables to be added for Phys Mod versions etc.  I tried PinballX at the Australian Pinball Expo at Penrith last year and I found the exiting from tables more convoluted than in Hyperpin.  Also the wheel seems to run through tables very fast with my Hyperpin and seemed much slower in PinballX.  Also seemed like tables were running with v-sync on, as the flipper response on Future Pinball seemed really poor.  I played 3 different cabs from various manufacturers and they all seemed to react the same......

I use Hyperpin.  Pinball X runs slow on my system.  I have been tempted to switch however given the fact that Pinball X supports audio when browsing each table and dmd videos.

Hyperpin definately lets you use audio when browsing tables if the Table Video file was encoded with audio....

I use Hyperpin.  Love its look and feel, but hate the bugs.   I use hibernate (to work around super slow first Hyperpin startup time), but it seems that if too much time has past since the last cab boot, Hyperpin just freezes.      

Plan to switch to PinballX eventually.  

pinballx, i used hyperpin in the past, now in pinballx the browsing is faster, the boot is faster, i can browse letter by letter with the magnasave button, no focus problem, no need to mess with ahk script to change some parameters, i don't use game manager and it's not a problem, dof is integrated with it (i display the rgb flippers and undercab, still experimental, waiting for swisslizard to finalize)

will welcome hp 2.0 if one goes out one day ;)

(i can browse letter by letter with the magnasave button)  <--- How did you get this work?

I use PinballX as main and keep an HyperPin installation for testing purposes on my cab. It shares media with PinballX and I hacked some scripts together to keep them both in sync.

Both front-ends have their strengths and weaknesses. PBX runs faster and better on W7, has DMD preview vids and doesn't have that bloated fplaunch autohotkey-script.

I like the looks on HP better, the exit countdown which can be shortened, and the button assignment (dedicated keys for flyer, launch and genre).

I have disabled the launch menu on PinballX - I prefer to launch a table directly so an genre key would be welcome.

What I would love for any of them is drawers. Having multiple versions of the same table (night, day, TPA, FP+BAM) in the wheel doesn't look too good.

It would be great to have an indicator that an submenu with different versions of the same table is available by pressing an button which isn't the launch button.

But since both projects are free I'm glad for what we have :)

I am assuming the Page Left and Page Right are the Browse to next Letter keys.  I need to set this up :)

Yes that would appear to be the right keys but is there any way to slow it down.. I hit the button and it wants to skip three letters sometimes it's so fast

• Content Provider

I've used hyperpin since day one I've never really had any problems with it.. If it's not broke don't fix it, is my motto.. :-)

One thing that is weird is on 1st launch the wheel spins backwards for some reason. Once I hit a flipper button it stops and doesn't happen again.. I could never figure out why so I stopped trying to fix it.. lol other than that it's been great for me..

• Content Provider

well i don't really agree on your approach icp, i saw you on other threads that you didn't want to move forward for other parts than vp emulation, you wanef to stay on ledcontrol.vbs instead of dof, same for uvp instead of b2s.server, as well as winxp instead of win7, i don't know if you changed it eventually.

when it works it works, fine but when something new works better, in terms of performance and playability, it is totally worthy :)

pbx is constantly evolving, it is more adding functionalities, there are no real bugs afaik, hp stopped evolving long time ago and compared to pbx it is outdated, sorry to say this but i used both, and hp didn't evolve since i switched to pbx.

where is hp 2.0??

Archived