What Front End Do You Currently Use On Your Pincab?

Dazz

What front end do you currently use on your Pincab?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. What front end do you currently use on your Pincab?

• HyperPin
    • PinballX
    • Other - Please explain

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can use either thanks to the mirroring of the XMLs and media directories :) but pretty much switched from Hyperpin to PinballX when it could incorporate Mame and PinballFx2 via Nukelauncher. The custom lists also come in handy when you have a child :) 

• Content Provider

I like the look of hyperpin overall.  Works well, though since I upgraded to windows 7, start up is very slow the first time you run it., and the menu buttons don't work while in a game (i.e. back, flyer, instructions) you can select them, but every option exits back to the select screen.  I assume maybe I need to recompile the AHK script...just haven't gotten around to it.

• Content Provider

Pinball X. I tried to get Hyperpin to work, but failed for whatever reason. Then Pinball X came out, and it worked right from the start.

I would be curious though, if there is another besides these two?

HP was already installed. It was flakey and kept giving me issues especially under heavy use when I have guests over. It needs to have tight code to get around kids randomly pushing buttons :) As well, once I started to add additional versions of VP it was not so simple to add tables.

PinballX is awesome, Pin music as you view, DMD visuals and extremely stable code (real easy to update too). Plus I love the online component which lets your buds know what your playing real-time. Hands down PinballX.

• Administrators

I don't quite understand what you guys mean by having issues under heavy use....  I have taken my cabinet to Texas Pinball Festival for the past 4 years where 4000-5000 people can play it for 3 days straight.  I don't have any issues with HyperPin even with kids and people randomly pushing buttons, it stays rock solid all weekend long.  The only issue that I ran into every now and then was a script error with one of the tables that I eventually removed from the list.

I have several versions of VP running happily together in HyperPin without any issues. Using the vpexetables.txt I have 5 different versions of VP running on my cabinet.

Very depressing seeing PinballX with a 2:1 margin over HyperPin... We gotta do something to fix this.

Well I did have a VirtuaPIn branded version of Hyperpin on my cab when I bought it so it was an older version. So this could be the reason it was always flaking out on me. PinballX just seemed to be more modern in their video presentation on the website and it sold me, so I gave it a shot and have not looked back.

I would be willing to give Hyperpin another shot if a newer version comes out and it has some slick new features. DMD integration with surfing and music is a must IMO to get me back :)

Dazz: we're you not testing a different build than the release version of Hyperpin?I thought I remembered something about that?

I love hyperpin but for whatever reason it does not perform as well on win7 as it seemed to on xp and certainly not as well on win7 compared to the competition. There is active development with pinballx, which provides hope to some that although some features are presently better on HP, with developmemt, pinballx will eventually get there.

• Administrators

Honestly, it has been so long I can't recall. There may have been an intermediate build that I was using but I have formatted since then and had to start all over with the normal download. I've been running whatever version we had on the Hyperspin site and in our downloads section. I was also testing a FPlaunch build sometime ago that become WIP10. There hasn't been any playable HP builds in a long while.

I think I may have figured out the issue that some people have on Win7 with HP. I think it has something to do with Intel driver causing a white screen to be displayed. I never installed the Intel drivers for my mobo until a couple weeks ago. Once I did that then I was getting the white screen when launching tables. I reinstalled Win7x64 and did not install the Intel stuff and get no white screen now.

I started with pbx, mostly because there are great ways to integrate fx2 and TPA (nukelauncher) and it does more from the start...without having to run +30 ahk scripts (which is easier to maintain IMHO).

PinballX just seemed to be more modern in their video presentation on the website and it sold me...

BTW does anybody know how to disable the auto playback of that damn video? Seen it one too many times and everytime it blows out my speakers...

Pinball X just seems to work easier. 

I have 2 (soon to be 3 when VP10 comes out) EXES for VP and I find the game manager very simple.

HyperPin was okay, but those XML files did my head in. 

You should just use what you are happy with !

Archived