Physmod5?

intakan

I´m pretty new to this and have a question, it may be a stupid question but what is Physmod5, I have learned a lot of new words in my soon to be two month of Vp-ing. but can not get a straight answer to what this is. Some one should make a lexicon for beginners, that would help me a lot in this jungle of strange terms.  :)

post-6940-0-39417700-1424981711_thumb.jpg

Long story short, VP version 10 is coming.  In the process of developing that, some new physics changes were implemented.  They needed to be "tested" to see how they worked out and improve them.  So a "temporary" Test/Beta build of of VP was released just for this purpose. Nicknamed "Physics Mod, or Physmod, or PM". It went through 5 revisions PM1-PM5). 

What causes the confusion is that the testers found the physics so improved that many people didn't want to keep developing tables for the previous (VP9) setup, and so even though PM5 was not an official release (nor intended to be anything other than for testing) various tables were released for this PM5 version.  (To be quite fair, for many people once you have played on the improved physics it's very hard to go back).   So you see various PM5 designations on tables, that will only work on that specialized build.

Due to the nature of the changes, you can't just run a non physmod table on a different version of VP, even different versions of the Test Physmod release (eg. PM2, PM5 etc). This has caused some issues as their are tables being developed/targeted at an "in between" version of VP that really is only temporary (and won't work with both the earlier previous versions, and also the newly released (beta) of VP10 and forward).

So to play these tables you need to keep around a seperate "physmod5" version of the VP exe file, just for those particular PM5 tables that you want to play.

Archived