[Vp10] Visual Pinball 10 - Beta

index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&id=3201

File Name: Visual Pinball 10 - Beta

File Submitter: toxie

File Submitted: 30 Jan 2015

File Category: Visual Pinball 10 - Install & Support Files

Visual Pinball 10 - Beta

*Note* Please report bugs at http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=30418

The wait is over! From now on Visual Pinball 10.0 is officially in the beta phase and you all can work/play with it and report issues if found. VP10 is different not only how it plays but also how create tables. We not only changed the graphics engine and the VP own elements but tried to improve VP in a way that it should be easier to build tables with it. Don't expect a brand new editor you won't see any big difference at first but there are subtle changes. Take a look at the changelog for more information what changed. Also we added some useful informations to the changelog how to use the changed or new elements and check out the new default table.

JPsalas created a nice original table (Papa Smurf) which you can also use as a reference for your table builds.

Again keep in mind that VP8/9 tables are loadable but not playable with VP10!

Please update not only the exe and the dlls but also the vbs files otherwise some new features won't work.

I would like to thank our alpha test team UncleWilly, JPsalas, JimmyFingers and Kruge99 for constantly checking new/changed features and for their inputs and ideas. Without you guys we wouldn't be that far!

This first beta version is ready to be used to build new tables so grab it and build tables with it. We couldn't check every combination of features so if you find something strange or buggy let us know.

I will update this post frequently if new stuff is available so it's easier for all to find everything.

Finally some credits for VP10.0

- Graphics engine/shader code - Toxie and Fuzzel

- Editor improvements - Toxie and Fuzzel

- Physics improvements - Mukuste

Click here to download this file

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats. Gonna be a great year with Unit3d coming out, plus new BAM and Zed physics as well. Is there a actual table available here that we can download so at least we could check this out properly? Some of us can't, or won't go to VPF.

either or, would appreicate it. Having a example fully working and balanced would be helpful to see exactly what this new version can do. Most of my tables are pretty old now, so lots of errors etc because of the  changes to even the basic scripting commands, let alone play balance etc.

Awesome, thanks tim, I will grab it when I get home, just wanted a reference table to see what VPx can do.

I will give it a decent shot, but to be honest, I'm more sadden by this release than anything. Don't get me wrong, it's a huge improvement, but, it's gotten so high end that fewer and fewer people would be able to understand it all. I knew I was in trouble reading just the description the author posted in the downloads and I couldn't even figure out half of what he was talking about, so completely over my head.

Speaking of which, I personally think the tutorial table would be far better for people to learn on rather than thenew table, as the code is way above most peoples head to understand.  Despite it's age, it still is a complete scoring and logic engine, so if anyone wants to convert it over, just get in touch with me. I think it would be a good community project here, and though basic, it was full featured and heavily commented so people new to vp could at least have a fighting chance.

• Content Provider

I noticed the same thing. I played a "new table" prior to trying JP's. In a way it's kind of like VP9. There will be a lot of "junk" put out, but in the hands of a skilled author it could be dangerous. ;)

I kind of think an approach like my "pre-done" template would be a good way to learn this. That's why it was so popular. Not going to happen for a while though. Many minds much smarter than I am are working on this, so there is no need.

• Content Provider

OK for fun, here's Verne's World. It's very playable. It has some of the new things from VP10 based on my time with the beta and some input from UW. There's a very basic desktop view in there, you have to go to Backdrop and change to "Use DT"

Additionally, I do not understand the rom navigation fully, and it's my understanding that the default ROM settings have a very low volume, so I've included my nvram file that hopefully helps you hear things.

It's an odd table, it's fun, it has neat toys, and if you can get the shots you can have some fun multiball. The targets on the left for "Balloon" - hit those to enable it. If you hit a ball up the left loop when balloon is ready, the ball will enter the balloon ball lock. gtxjoe scripted the whole balloon lock for me and it's the best thing about this table. It locks 3 balls for multiball. In the middle of the table are the "Volcano" targets, hitting these will enable the volcano shot, which just starts a 2 ball multiball. The volcano shot is obviously right under the volcano. The target to the right of that, "Octopus" enable the octopus lock. If you hit the ball to the top of the submarine area, (on the playfield) the ball kicks up to the cave on the top right and the Octopus grabs the ball. It holds 2 balls and starts a 3 ball multiball. It gets a little more complicated when you lock in both the octopus and balloon...but you can figure it out from there.

I do have one bug, where 2 balls enter the kicker two quickly and they don't launch. It happens so rarely, it will be fixed soon though.

I'm still learning vp10 but feel like I got pretty far on this one and I would just like to see more tables so we can all try to find some bugs...

Since this isn't a final release I hope just posting a box link is ok. If the dev team or an admin has issues with this please let me know a better way!

https://app.box.com/s/a3bx0xxsdgsc06rmupxu8furha6i8pvq

iKoPn9o.jpg

Well, I would say at the very least that the new table should be rethought. It is very tough to modify, and I can't see many people having the patience to do so, and it does need to be modified even as is.

Really buggy, I noticed that the rubbers if you delete them all of them delete, a couple bad crashes, and the actual design the spacing is not correct between the left and right sides. It's also the stock size, so it would be better to use a standard arcade size (I used Bally SS sizes) but even changing the table size was a bit fustrating. It's just too complex for what it is suppose to do, and it is actually easier and faster to just delete the entire table and rebuild from scratch, which does defeat the entire purpose.

Of course it's real slow going for me, there have been so many changes, even to basic script commands, that I am getting lost and overwhelmed by it. I sure noticed all my favorite bugs that I have know for 12 years are still there, like how my table slows down in speed with each magnification. It really is slow going building a table, but as this beta cycle goes on, a lot of things will be hammered out hopefully.

Well....

Startshake error, and just a mass of grey instead of the table. No materials at   all, and this was pre-beta? Geez.  Thanks anyway Tim, but completely unuseable.

there cannot be real progress if we wouldn't have done away with a lot of old legacy. and while at it, we -tried- to introduce a new workflow on setting up tables that should be much easier than setting up a table in VP9 (at least if you wanted the table to look halfway impressive, so kinda like all the VP9.2.X or 9.9.X tables released in the last year).

this means that new guys that were just blown away from the sheer amount of work necessary to setup a basic table with some nice lighting effects, will hopefully now try to build tables using the new ways.

and overall we got so much positive from the alpha-tester-authors, that i hope that we are on the right track with this. and we still got the whole beta phase where a lot of adjustments and some features can be put in!

toxie, don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that we all get new versions and updates, not just with VP but FP and Unit3d. Just my intial impressions, but after years of not using VP at all, and being far more use to FP now to whitewood designs. It's just the amount of extra steps that VP does compared to FP just to layout a table, but I am sure things will get far better as the beta stage goes on.

If there is one thing I really would like to see, is that bloody bug where the editor slows down with each magnification closer to a object, and you lose the image attached to a object and it gets black. Annoyed me for 14 years and makes fine control point detail a very painful and extremely slow process.

I fully agree with the slow-editor pain. One of my (tons of) todos is to render the stuff in the editor also with direct3D, so that there is no slowdown at all when designing, and you get transparency and all that on top of it.

As for the steps to setup a table: I also agree there, but thats the problem with spare-time projects: Most of the time the UI and real workflow improvements get never improved as its always the least fun things to do. :/

I agree toxie, anything that can make the table creation process more intuitive will help greatly.  I really wanted to build tables for years now and I have tried numerous times.  The problem has always been it's like a two part process.  First you have to uses walls visible and invisible to make a table work like you want the table to work, and then use images to try and make it look like what a table should look like.  That's over simplified I know but you know what I mean. I would beat my head on something for days or weeks trying to make sense of it, finally I would ask for help and find it was nothing like what I thought it would be realizing I could have continued as I was for years and never figured it out.  You could always do amazing thinks with VP if you were one of the Gods of VP. For most of the rest of us we just had to stand back and in awe at how they could make it look so easy.  With 10, VP takes another step toward making a "Pinball Construction Set"  us laymen might be able to figure out.  And as far as for what the Gods are going to do with this new power... Minds will be blown!

Archived