[Media Manager] Vp Media Manager

Welcome to VP Media Manager. This application will help you determine what files if any are missing in your pinball cabinet. Most VP pinball cabinets use one of the two major launchers Hyperpin or PinballX.

These launchers use similar groups of files, sometimes called media packs, to provide an attractive display of selection wheels, backglass images, etc. while selecting a table for play on the cabinet. To associate the various files both launchers use an identical xml file. The files that a cabinet can associate with a table are as follows:

1. The table file, which for VP always has a .vpt extension

2. The various media files such as playfield, backglass, and DMD images and videos and instruction cards

3. Older b2s files

4. Newer directb2s files

Within the xml file are found all the table entries for each table you want available in the launcher. A table entry looks like this:

<game name="24">

<description>24</description>

<manufacturer>Stern</manufacturer>

<year>2009</year>

<type>SS</type>

</game>

For file matching purposes, the only two tags that matter are the game tag and the description tag. Unfortunately what the two launchers do with these tags varies significantly and there are 2 options in locating your directb2s file.

===============

PinballX uses the following file matching algorithm.

For table files and media files, it will attempt each of these one by one until it finds a matching file.

1. Find a filename that EXACTLY matches the game tag.

2. If the File Matching is enabled find a filename that closely matches the game tag

3. Find a filename that EXACTLY matches the description tag.

4. If the File Matching is enabled find a filename that closely matches the description tag

================

Hyperpin uses the following file matching algorithm.

For table files

1. Find a filename that EXACTLY matches the game tag.

For media files

1. Find a filename that EXACTLY matches the description tag

=================

Older b2s files have their filename set in the table's script, but by convention must match exactly the table name.

=================

Directb2s files are matched to tables, by default, by looking for a file that matches the *.vpt filename. As you can see, the USUAL case for this under both launchers is to have the .directb2s filename EXACTLY match the game tag, however that can differ in PinballX due to its matching algorithm.

Directb2s server however gives the user an option to locate the launcher's xml file and use the description tags from it as the file name instead of the *.vpt filename.

==================

With the multiple matching possibilities, there are permutations of filenames that will not work with VP Media Manager, but it will work for the vast majority of people.

Before running the report, make sure to select the launcher you are using and checking the option for whether or not you are using directb2s xml linking.

Hi Spektre,

Thanks for the update to v1.4 but unfortunately I still get a reading error of the .xml file.

My .xml format is as follows:

<menu>

<game name="24 (Stern 2009)">

<year>2009</year>

<type></type>

<hidedmd>True</hidedmd>

<hideblackglass>True</hideblackglass>

<enable>True</enabled>

<rating>0</rating>

</game>

...etc

I tried running VP Manager on a modified .xml file without the hidedmd, hidebackglass and rating sections (as I'm not sure they are even used by PinballX), but it still wouldn't work. The "enable" tag is required.

Scratch all that. I found the problem after editing various database files..

It's not the extra tags, but that I have used the "&" character in several of my game name & table descriptions.

Is it possible to have a version that allows this, as PinballX does?

Cheers,

Brett

P.S. Works great when I edit my .xml files to remove the "&". Good job to all concerned.

Scratch all that. I found the problem after editing various database files..

It's not the extra tags, but that I have used the "&" character in several of my game name & table descriptions.

Is it possible to have a version that allows this, as PinballX does?

Cheers,

Brett

P.S. Works great when I edit my .xml files to remove the "&". Good job to all concerned.

Hi Spektre,

Thanks for the update to v1.4 but unfortunately I still get a reading error of the .xml file.

My .xml format is as follows:

<menu>

<game name="24 (Stern 2009)">

<year>2009</year>

<type></type>

<hidedmd>True</hidedmd>

<hideblackglass>True</hideblackglass>

<enable>True</enabled>

<rating>0</rating>

</game>

...etc

I tried running VP Manager on a modified .xml file without the hidedmd, hidebackglass and rating sections (as I'm not sure they are even used by PinballX), but it still wouldn't work. The "enable" tag is required.

Another user mentioned a different issue for filenames containing ampersands. I'll look into it for the next release. As for instruction cards, I do not use them and so asked about their usage to make the definition for MM.

So, png can be used as well. What about .jpg or other image formats? For those using Instruction Cards, are they always segmented into their own directory with nothing else in it? If so, I could simply match on the file name and not worry about the file extension at all.

Would it be a stretch to have this (or a ) program read a master list of vp tables and tell you which ones are missing and/or out of date? Boy that would be handy! :-)

My thoughts would be, WHO determines the master list? There are multiple versions of tables, none of which are "official".

• Administrators

My thoughts would be, WHO determines the master list? There are multiple versions of tables, none of which are "official".

That would be a totally different program ...And a nightmare  (somebody would be updating daily) any volunteers ? LOL

would be impossible to keep up to date  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I know very little about either topic.

My understanding is there are multiple Flyer Images possible per table. Is there a common naming convention for the various filenames, or are they called out specifically in the xml file?

I am not a FP player. What files do these use? You mention table files are .fpt . b2s and db2s are VP only files. Does FP use the same .xml naming conventions (yes multiple...it was amazing how many different naming methods could be used for VP). What other auxiliary files are used in FP?

Thanks for considering it at least Spekter...

Flyer images: These are normal .jpg or .png image files residing in the Flyer Images folder. It's correct that a table can have multiple flyer images each in it's own subfolder (Front, Back, Inside1, Inside2, etc). However, IF there's a flyer available for a table, there will be at least a flyer in the "Front" subfolder, so that's the only one that has to be checked.

Future Pinball: FP tables have the backglass and table in one file with a .fpt file extension. For FP tables, the same xml naming convention is used in the PinballX and Hyperpin database files. There are no other auxiliary files except for the usual frontend graphic files (Table Image, Backglass Image, etc).

Table Audio: These are audio files (.mp3, .ogg usually) that reside in the "Table Audio" subfolder of each system.

Adding these to the Media Manager would make the analytics about my media folders complete :)

Archived