1a Max For Each Led Wiz Bank?

mountainman

So I'm a noob here but have been following for months. I have built a new cab and am ready to hook up the Led Wiz for the Force Feedback phase.

My question is the Led Wiz doc says each bank of 8 has a max of 1 Amp total.

I have 5 CREE XM-L RGB LEDs at 5volts, 8 Siemens 24 Volt Contactors and a 24v relay to drive the 24vdc Williams knocker.

Since I have split voltages, (5v and 24v), I understand I going to have to wire 2 banks at 5 volts and the other 2 banks at 24v and "sink" them appropriately to each output.

I used 8.2 Ohm (Red) + 5.6 Ohm (B,G,W) resistors for each CREE LED leg to give me ~320 mA for each LED color.(I measured with DMM to verify)

Since I'm going to have to stack 8 CREE legs on each bank (to make all this fit), the simple math says I'm going to overload the 1 Amp max.

I realize that not each leg is going to be driven at each time so I might be safe.

Am I correct?

Thanks for the input. This project is fascinating!

• Content Provider

You actually do not need to provide any power to the 4 voltage banks on the ledwiz. Leave then empty. This lets you mix voltages on the same bank if you ever need to.

Positive voltage is provided directly to the toy and ground by the ledwiz. Make sure the grounds of the ledwiz and The power supplies are connected to each other

Yes theoretically you can exceed the 1amp current max or the rgbs but most of us run it in the configuration

Good news.

So if you can run mix voltages in each bank then I could theoretically "spread" the RGB ground legs across all the banks and also add in the ground leg for the 24 volt siemens contactors under the same bank with LEDs?

The contactors measured to draw less current than the RGBs. Didn't see that coming.

I was looking at others wiring diagrams and saw most people were loading them up as well.

So power all toys from their required voltage power source, coonect the ground leg of all toys to the LedWiz "output" and leave the "voltage bank selection" ports open. That's including 500mA fuses on all LedWiz output connections, using iN4007 diodes on all coils, and tying power supply grounds together with LEDWiz main ground.

Got it.

Thanks gtxjoe!

Actually the rating for the ledwiz bank of 8 output's is 500ma per output to a max of 2 (or 2.5, can't remember and don't have the sheet in front of me) watts per bank.

That translates to 1/2A per output but the power rating for the entire bank varies depending on the voltage (power=voltage x amps)

If you were to max out the voltage rating of the driver to the 48V limit, you would only be able to safely run the entire bank at 40ma at once, at 12v you can run 166ma at once. Depending on how you arrange the outputs you can maximize the output handling by ensuring that the banks are never fully loaded at any time (eg: all 5 flashers never have all 3 colours running fully on at the same time).

Heatsinking the driver chips on the ledwiz can extend this a bit, but it's best to stay within the overall power rating of the chip if you want the board to last.

Archived