Pindmd2 Has Stopped Showing Up In Device Drivers After Update...

paulohotline

Hey guys Happy New Year, I hope you can guide me in the right direction to get my PINDMD2 working. I started getting crashes in PINMAME this AM when playing SAM tables. It started with ACDC then started happening with any SAM table. I actually had to reboot the PC to clear out the DMD. I had changed no hardware or software configs from the previous day of  flawless operation. I re-installed the VPMame dll in case it got corrupt and re-downloaded the sam.vbs file. The tables continued to crash and lock up the PINDMD.,

I noticed on a reboot that my PINDMD2 was at Rev 584-16 and that a newer firmare was available - rev630-16-CLR.dfu - for my DMD. So I downloaded this manual - http://www.pindmd.com/AN004.pdfand began the process of updating my firware. 

I downloaded the latest firmware and ran setDFU.exe. It installed drivers in windows and now it shows up under Univeral Serial Bus Controllers as - STM Device in DFU Mode. (it may have been there before, I just noticed it now). I did not see the device when running the app - DfuSeDemo.exe as per the manual. I do see it in STDFUTester.exe. as - STM Device in DFU Mode

I currently can no longer see PINDMD2 in Device Manager except in in the USB section.

I cannot use pinDMD-CLR.exe to access as it gives me - error opening pinDMD2 device

I cannot use pinDMDsettings.exe as it gives me - error opening device.

I have tried to re-install the drivers in device manager with no success in getting the PINDMD2 to show up.

I am going to stop trying to fix this PINDMD issue myself and see what you guys have to say.

Anyone here a PINDMD2 expert that can help me out? I am stumped on how to proceed.

Ok I pulled the PINDMD2 board out of the VirtuaPIN and got it working by running the same steps on another PC. Not sure why the VIrtuaPin would not behave. 

After installing it back with the updated firmware I am still crashing randomly with PINMAME. It's pretty bad, as even using pinDMD-CLR.exe does not work as I lose complete access to the the PINDMD2. I have to reboot the PC.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

• Content Provider

Is it crashing when started?  Or crashing in the middle of a game? Is it only Stern roms or non-Stern roms?

I have seen a lot of the Stern roms that can crash at startup.  If the roms starts then I have no problem during that session.  I can't reliably start ACDC on my cab.

I have not seen any issues where the vpinmame crashes in the middle of gameplay 

Hey Joe, yeap it's happening randomly in the middle of games, not at the beginning as the table launchs fine. It's happening with all roms at the moment. Just happened with Jurassic Park Lost World! I believe a better way to describe it is that PINMAME all of a sudden the sound cracks and begins to distort when hitting an object and PINMAME begins to stutter to a complete stop. The table is still functioning but not accessible etc. It's weird. When I get out of the table in PINBALLX PINDMD is locked.

It started happening this AM, after pretty much rock solid gameplaying the last 3 weeks for hours on end. Not sure what to try next, just going to leave it for now.

FYI, Ever since I used the updated PHYMOD5 from DJRobX here, I never had a problem with ACDC:

1) Z-limit to prevent balls from falling off the table
2) VP 9.1.1 bug fix changes included (with the exception of the "nudge filter")
3) Workaround for Monster Bash problem.   Now the friction will be set to the playfield friction if the object is named "Playfield" (or starts with "pffrict").   CK kindly sent me his test MB table and it seems to play very well. 

I have been doing a bit of research on this topic and am going to test the following...

1) check if any recent windows 7 updates installed in last 48 hours and roll them back. The crackling sound before the crash is strange and points to potential driver updates.
2) test Phymod5 tables with DOF disabled to rule out a DOF issue. This may not be a PINMame issue after all.
3) test VP9.9 tables to see if they run without issue
4) check wiring on DOF components to make sure nothing was unplugged or moved.

edit -> 4b) install Norton Anti-Virus Security. I have MS Essentials installed (the free MS App) but it has been know to let Trojans roam freely. I read somewhere that a Trojan could cause issues if its sitting in memory etc. Full scan with Norton will be done.

5) last resort, if it's not a hardware issue, restore an image backup from 4 weeks ago :(

Hey Arngrim, running the SimpleLED Test app, my contactor on Port 12 sounds like a "machine gun" instead of one click. It eventually stops after about 2-3 seconds. What would cause a contractor to exhibit that behaviour? I don't recall this happening before when I tested with SimpleLED Test, so this may be the issue.

I am going rerun the config with port 12 disabled and and do some testing with DOF on.

Hey now, I believe that disabling flaky contactor on port 12 did the trick. No more crashing the PINDMD you dirty contactor! I have been playing several tables with DOF on for an hour now including ACDC etc with no issues.

Geez, what a pain the ass. Hopefully this thread helps someone else who when PINDMD crashes assumes it the PINDMD at fault.

Back to pinball!

Archived