Star Trek

dawen

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

Hi Fren

I'd first like to congratulate you on this amazing WIP and all your other works you have contributed to the community.

Just a question re the spotlights in the centre of the playfield:

I'm not sure how to explain this but the beams seem

quite collimated. At the edges the light ends abruptly rather than tapering off. Is this done by design or a limitation of VPX?

Yea I know what you mean, right now using the VP lighting, if I can't find a solution for diffusing the edge of the lighting, I'll probably use a flasher for spotlighting like I used on 24 and Indiana Jones

Looks awesome dude, too bad we are going to have to wait a year to play it :)

On a positive note, I am upgrading my Nvidia 680 to a Nvidia 980 to future proof my cabinet this weekend. I am sure that card will crush this and any future tables released in VP10.

Thanks for your hard work!

• Content Provider

Not sure what the plan is for the orbit control gates but the default location should be down as the ball should go into the pops at launch unless you hold the left flipper button.  Making sure it does this allows for more feeds down through the pops but more importantly it allows more access to the warp ramp (best feature of the game).

Maybe a timer could be added that states that if ____ switch is hit then the top left control gate is down for _____ seconds.  Add the switch the the shooter lane towards the end of it and make the timer length long enough to catch the ball but not so long that it stays down for for a quick loop shot.  Thinking maybe 5 seconds or so.

This is one of those times having those aux boards would really make things much easier and give the player the right game experience.

I do love what you've done with the GI.  Not something that is in the real machine but it probably should have been ;-)

I don't recall if I got you good pics of the warp ramp insignia light plastic.  It has two lights in it (one color changer like the rest of the playfield and one red light that shows a combo is active).  If not, shoot me a PM and I'll get you some good pics to use.

• Content Provider

Yea I have pictures of that insignia, need to get that up there as well

I'd like to know when the orbit post/gate is down, I can't find good info on that. I know you can hit the loop sometimes so is there an event that triggers that to go down? Right now I just have a 1 way gate so you always plunge into the pops but you can orbit left to right

I still need to implement the standup target and drop target textures, along with the insignia, some other things... I still need to put that galaxy/space picture on the back wall (the mod you have) because it's almost too bright back there, also need to adjust the height of the warp ramp, add the warp ramp hole to the back wall, etc etc... 

• Content Provider

I'll see if I can get you some better info on how the control gates work.  Right now I think the only time that they are both down is when super pops is activated (completing the left side of the triangle).  The plunge should definitely go into the pops unless the left flipper button is held so that sounds right.

The mod you are talking about is actually factory :-)  It's the nebula that they used to help hide some things.  I'll try to get you some better pics of it.  They are just purple (no images present) and it's 3 separate pieces at different heights off the backboard to give it a 3d look.

• Content Provider

I'll see if I can get you some better info on how the control gates work.  Right now I think the only time that they are both down is when super pops is activated (completing the left side of the triangle).  The plunge should definitely go into the pops unless the left flipper button is held so that sounds right.

The mod you are talking about is actually factory :-)  It's the nebula that they used to help hide some things.  I'll try to get you some better pics of it.  They are just purple (no images present) and it's 3 separate pieces at different heights off the backboard to give it a 3d look.

Are these gates or posts? When you say down you mean blocking the path, so that means they're gates right? And there's 2? So one to each side of the pop bumper lane guides?

• Content Provider

Are these gates or posts? When you say down you mean blocking the path, so that means they're gates right? And there's 2? So one to each side of the pop bumper lane guides?

They are gates.  Yes, when I say down I'm refering to them stopping the ball and forcing it into the pops.

You are correct, there is one at both sides of the pop bumper lanes.

I've played a dozen or so games with the intent of testing the gates to see if I could get you a better idea of when they should be up vs down.  90% of the time it's how I previously described so I would just go with that.  Sometimes they open up to allow loops and sometimes they close to force into the pops.  I just can't figure out what is causing the changes as nothin changes with what is lit on the game.  Wish I could be more helpful on that but I just can't figure out what is causing the change.

I'll still get you some picks of the nebula.  It's a bit of a pain thus why I haven't gotten to pulling the game out and apart yet for them.

• Content Provider

They are gates.  Yes, when I say down I'm refering to them stopping the ball and forcing it into the pops.

You are correct, there is one at both sides of the pop bumper lanes.

I've played a dozen or so games with the intent of testing the gates to see if I could get you a better idea of when they should be up vs down.  90% of the time it's how I previously described so I would just go with that.  Sometimes they open up to allow loops and sometimes they close to force into the pops.  I just can't figure out what is causing the changes as nothin changes with what is lit on the game.  Wish I could be more helpful on that but I just can't figure out what is causing the change.

I'll still get you some picks of the nebula.  It's a bit of a pain thus why I haven't gotten to pulling the game out and apart yet for them.

Thanks, don't worry about the nebula pics, I can recreate it from pics you've previously provided!

• Content Provider

Thanks, don't worry about the nebula pics, I can recreate it from pics you've previously provided!

You know that's not how I roll :-)

Here is how they align -

1424466706.jpg

Here is the left one -

1424466775.jpg

And the center one -

1424466829.jpg

And the right one -

1424466878.jpg

Here is a pic that should help show the gates as well -

1424466923.jpg

• Content Provider

He may be thinking that because of my pics.   Factory it is yellow.  I changed mine to purple as it matches the color scheme of the ramps.  I felt it looked better that way.  Easy change for anyone that wants to make the change after release to any colors they want.

Archived