Chugging Balls In Visual Pinball And Other Issues.

LockeCole

I've been scouring the forums here and at VPforums and can't seem to find anything to help me so I figured I would break down and just finally ask it myself.

I bought a premade table and have been fiddling with it and learning a lot but I've noticed that many installed Visual Pinball tables are running a bit chuggy. (No issues with Pinball Arcade or Pinball FX, but I assume VP takes a lot more power than those)

I'm not sure what exactly is going on with my table after trying a few different ways to optimize it. The balls seem to chug randomly, not terribly but noticeably. The odd part is, visual pinball claims the framerate is between 400-700 dependent on the table... It shouldn't be doing this, so my guess is there's some kind of bottleneck. I'm wondering if it is either a ram issue or a graphics card issue (see next paragraph) These are just my guesses, mind you, if it's something else, or you believe it might be, feel free to suggest anything.

The one thing I am also trying to figure out is just how my machine is setup. It has 2 graphics cards, one much better than the other. I read someone mention that they have their table set up so that the backglass is run on their integrated graphics card and the table itself on the installed card, could two Nvidia cards be used like this as well or would they have to be used as one with the smaller one just giving the bigger one a bump in power (or perhaps it's even detrimental to the newer card depending on how much worse it is, again, I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd like in this case.

Here are the specs on the table, 

3 monitors 

(Playfield: 29" Toshiba LED Backglass: 22" LED Backglass Monitor and 10" LED DMD full color display)

Windows 7 Pro

Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual Core 3,2 Ghz

4 GB DDR3 133 RAM (is this enough?)

128gb SSD

GeForce 210

GeForce GTX 660Ti

(Not sure how to check singular graphics memory but windows says it has a combined 3807MB)

If anything else or more details are requested I'd be more than happy to look into them. 

I don't even hate it's performance, I'd just like it to run it's tip top best and I am guessing that for some reason it is not.

One last issue that is likely unrelated but when I run the Nvidia updater to go from Driver 340.52 to 344.75 it bluescreens during install and the same upon rebooting and windows recovery is forced to roll the system back. I doubt it's related but it's another issue I'd like to deal with sometime, is it because it is trying to install driver updates for two cards at once?

Thanks to all who read this and double thanks to those who respond.

• Administrators

That CPU is a bit outdated. My guess is that's where your bottleneck is.  VP likes CPU.. the more you can throw at it the better its going to perform.  With that said it runs beautifully on my i5 and even better on a friends i7.

I'm with Admin on this, you got stiffed on your processor, everything else looks good. Minimum i5 for smooth gameplay not sure if you can just put one in with the motheboard you have ( check the manual he should have gave you $230 for i5) .My Advice ,Take it back and tell him to fix it.

• Content Provider

Are you running VP 9.2.1 or VP 9.9.x?  There are some performance improvements that eliminate stutter.  In the VP9.9.1, Preferences - Video Section.  Try setting FPS limiter to 120 and 60 if necessary 

I'm with Admin on this, you got stiffed on your processor, everything else looks good. Minimum i5 for smooth gameplay not sure if you can just put one in with the motheboard you have ( check the manual he should have gave you $230 for i5) .My Advice ,Take it back and tell him to fix it.

Sounds like you got a bit hosed. Hope those VP tables weren't already on it when you bought the cabinet.

The cabinet wasn't super expensive, it was meant to be just mainly for Pinball FX and, if they ever get to it, Pinball Arcade. I started installing the Visual Pinball stuff after looking at the suggested requirements and seeing my card was more than capable, I didn't even think of the processor. That said the ASRock H97M motherboard that he has in it seems pretty processor upgradable so I'll likely upgrade the processor in my PC and recycle the 3.5Ghz i7-4770k Quad from that into the table. Thanks to all of you for the help.

Are you running VP 9.2.1 or VP 9.9.x?  There are some performance improvements that eliminate stutter.  In the VP9.9.1, Preferences - Video Section.  Try setting FPS limiter to 120 and 60 if necessary 

9.9.0 since some tables seem to crash with 9.9.1. I did as you suggested (both on 990 and 991 but sadly it didn't seem to make much if any difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

Heh.

Chugging Balls.

Yeah, I couldn't think of a way to explain it that didn't sound funny until after I posted and went "Oh, duh, stuttering". 

The other thing to try is running all monitors on the 660TI, sometime people report issues of stutter using multiple video cards (not all)

This is actually something I'd need help on... How exactly do you set up the different monitors (and/or apps) to run on different cards?

This is something I saw someone make a reference to try on a previous post (to someone else) but I couldn't find any info on how it is done. This is my first time with a PC with multiple graphics cards and the few times I'd looked into it prior to that all involved Crossfire/SLI which I'd always assumed (and may be wrong) worked in tandem to process not give defined tasks and/or monitors to specific cards. I'd appreciate anyone who could explain it or point me at an article/tutorial on how to change it.

This may sound silly but...

Re run windows experience

Also for your ssd run the optimization program for it(should have came with a cd or website will have it)

I was having "chugging" on one table out of 720 it was Austin powers physmod. That table was completely unplayable for me all others were great. I optimized my ssd with Samsung magician and re ran windows experience index and it's no longer chugging. Butter smooth.

Worth a shot huh?

windows experience index ? is just for information .. right ? it does nothing else.... i run my cab with a gtx650ti and i have this "chugging" only with a few new tables ... best setting for me is 120 on framelimit and max prerendered at 2.the more alpha blend lights for GI on a table the more stuttering (for me)

Archived