List Of Vp Physmod Tables

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

tl;dr ck and bigboss released physmod versions of other authors tables without asking for permission. those authors got upset and requested that the links be removed. eventually everyone got involved and people got upset, ck and bigboss removed their links, then the thread got locked because it's easier to do that than deal with the argument. the whole thing could have been prevented if a moderator had stepped in 2 weeks ago when this issue first came up between another author and myself, and just removed the link to the tables in question and explained why. but here we are.

• Administrators

Hmm, I wish someone had an answer to this... Physmod are perfect candidates for our patcher.

Look at the PC gaming communities. Most game developers encourage and even give their users the tools to mod their games. Mods require the users to own the original game thus still keeping the old original game and giving it new life.

Why not just create patches for them? I said this a long time ago... Patches are what the whole VP community NEEDS. Patches keep the official files relevant and the original creators still get recognition.

• Content Provider

Fren: sometimes though "sleeping on it" is way better than a from the hip decision thAt everyone can regret later. This is kind of a kobyashi Maru situation though ;)

If last night was the first time it came up, I'd agree with you, but it already came up 2 weeks ago with no real resolution "from above" beyond everyone just kind of stepping away....

• Administrators
I think patches are a good solution but many authors provide many updates to their tables, will sometimes delete the older version and I think that renders the patching system a little bit headachy. Still agree better than nothing though.

Granted It's not an end all be all perfect system, but it is by far what's been going on for years with the VP community.

When this has happened in the past the patch creator created a new patch based on the updated table. There may be some delay between the official table release and the patch.

Can anyone suggest a better solution?

The conversation going on currently is basically that mods to existing tables, with respect given from previous work that is being modded (at least I think, kind of all over the place on the specifics), shouldn't happen without express permission from the original author of the recreation.  Even physics mods.  That logic seems flawed since the original creator of the machine did not give express permission for anything and it would  seem that subsequent demands for pre-authorization for "mods" kind of an unrealistic expectation.  Needless to say, most people disagree with me on that.  Not sure why but it's pretty clear that never in the history of internet forums has anyone ever been convinced to abandon their position.  

• Administrators

HOLY FUCK....keep that fucked up mentality at VPF were it belongs ...dont bring that drama here.......WTF guys    

1416354593.gif

VPU better place to be....more open minded here lets keep it that way  :D  why this place was made B)

make the patches best way around all the issues... why we invented it...ASK.first to mod if. no responce....patch it  ....make it simple..original is not touched  

we all big boys lets stop acting like kids in school...we all here to play fuckin pinball...that the bottom line ..so STFU with the bullshit.... :D

Archived