Led Strips

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hell yeah, can you make these mappings into ini files

Glad you like it. Have not given converting any thoughts at the moment, been busy with the hardware and getting this config together. Want to get some final things sorted out, thee cleanup off the xml and then will share it with you if that helps ?

• Content Provider

i don't have internal led strip, i don't know if i would be able to add them on my cab one day, my screen is too high on the cab, i had to do this because my pf screen is 4 cm deep, and my flipper buttons are under the screen and i couldn't put them lower or i would have put my pf screen lower as well.

so i have 2 ledbars on the side of my ledbar, here's scared stiff with swisslizard ledstrip config

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfHJIE1uarE&feature=youtu.be

Watching this with great anticipation!

Would one led-wiz work for contactors, and led flashers and led strips? Or should I plan for an extra led-wiz just for LED toys?

Or... What do you guys think of the pac-led64?

Really amazing work guys!

• Content Provider

with the pacled64 the leds will no flicker and you have more colors.

PWM frequency of the ledwiz is approx 50hz, for the pacled64 that PWM frequency is approx 100khz (not sure if I remember this corectly). Ledwiz had 48 resp. 49 PWM levels, pacled64 has 256 levels.

One thing to keep in mind regarding the pacled64 is that the outputs only delver 20ma, which means that a booster is required for everything which is not a simple single led.

• Content Provider

There are 2 points about the Pacled64 which make it a good thing to use:

• 64 outputs
  • Much higher PWM frequency. Ledwiz has approx 50hz, which can result in flickering leds. Pacled64 is in the 100khz area if I'm not mistaken.

Downside of the Pacled64 is the fact that the outputs can only drive 20ma each. So connection anything else than a small led is not possible without a booster.

I see the pacled then more as different then better, 64 vs 32 ports, better PWM, but not everyone will notice and 20mA vs 500mA :)

Did not know that differences, thanx.

In addition may be for some people interesting to use the Arduino Mega for it, also 20mA per port, PWM freq with ShiftPWM @75Khz and 54 ports usable. You also need an booster but those can be made real cheap like Ledwiz 500mA.

The good points of the PacLED64 is that it has 64 outputs and a higher PWM frequency which should reduce flicker.  The bad point is that it is a constant current device and can only output 20mA meaning you'll have to use a booster board/relays.

(What?!  It just seemed like saying that was the thing to do today!)

• 4 weeks later...

is there anyway of controlling the arduino without artnet? just pass info (hex ) or anything ?  i know vb had its own sketch forgot the name for communication. 

i have some coding i did for neopixels with fades and patterns that incorporate no delay coding what so ever - can be retriggered  in mid loop.

would like to save the animation on the arduino then dof tell arduino which one to play - could do with measuring pvm signal but that can be slow 

what i have so far just reading high pin full output on one ledwiz channel

animation only on ufo destroyed - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHBP1JsfiAI

• 1 month later...

Have been away for some weeks, started building last weekend again and need to update my cabinet.xml big time. When i am done with that will try to make a configuration for one table to use all the led strips present. Still have 5m strip left to place :)

As far we can tell now the arduino works fine with both type strips, the ws2812 and the lpf8806, with a maximum of 170 rgb leds per arduino at the moment. Have 2 of them in the cab at the moment, 3th is on the way. For now have around 310 leds connected, 60led/m all around the playfield sides and bottom, 3 rows on the top of playfield, 60 leds on the back of the backbox and 8 leds on the apron

For the people that not have seen my cab, the theme is Abe from Oddworld Inhabitants, in the middle is Abe with his thumbs up, eyes and thumbs have rgb leds under them and also the logo and right thumb rocks have leds.

If all leds are places i think i need sunglasses to play a game :D

Hello everybody! i,m in a totally makeover period with my cab. For now i have 2 Ledwiz 1 Boosterboard 1 ATX Breakoutboard. I will add all toys i can this time. So a fast question, can i add those rgb playfied strips directly to ledwiz or boosterboard, or will i need a aurdunio board to this??

Hello everybody! i,m in a totally makeover period with my cab. For now i have 2 Ledwiz 1 Boosterboard 1 ATX Breakoutboard. I will add all toys i can this time. So a fast question, can i add those rgb playfied strips directly to ledwiz or boosterboard, or will i need a aurdunio board to this??

You can not connect the individual controlled LED strips directly to ledwiz, you need a controller like this from Swisslizard or an Arduino with network shield and special software. Both are at the moment not available. Swisslizard is making final changes as I understand and Shifters and myself are currently testing the Arduino solution.

Then you need a specialy made cabinet.xml and configuration for the tables. Arngrim has made some changes in the utility to support it with .ini files, I am currently using a table.xml file specialy made for our cabs. Since we have a lot of strips connected there is much to take into account, do we want to address all strips or do we bundle specific strips and such.

Besides that I am not done with placing LED strips yet B), am now looking in undercab strips and if I want them addressable, Shifters are addressable atm and I can't keep behind I think. And I want some around the front of my backbox also but not figured out how to place then so it looks nice and not blinding you totaly (a bit is good!).

After this being said, I think you might get the idea that this is not ready for the big public yet, if it will ever be. As far as I am concerned it is not, there needs to be a lot done on the software side, specialy configuration wise. On the hardware side things are looking good I think, as where the average person will use the PCB from Swisslizard and the more adventure builder will choose the Arduino, thats just up to you.

My advise: if you have the time, wait. If not choose anything that is available and working at the present. (and later have a good reason for another rebuild :rolleyes: )

Archived