Shaker Motor ... Stern And Others

Les73gtx

• Content Provider

hey Les,

Were the intensity settings significantly noticeable between values?  I tried adjusting the max intensity initially from 25 to 10, and down to 6, I think, and I can't seem to distinguish the difference. I left the minimum intensity at 5, not thinking that would have the effect I was expecting.  At any of those settings (25, 10 or 6) they all felt the same and were all way too strong for my setup, as I only have the playfield monitor resting on some wood frames I made, and the monitor shakes and moves! Haha.  As an alternative, I connected the motor up to the 5v output of the power supply...it shakes the cabinet, but not quite enough. 

• Content Provider

did you try intensity 1 and 0?

No sir, I did not, but I will try that tonight.  To try to increase the effect using the 5v output, I was going to add a second weight on the other shaft of the motor.  I will post the results of both.  Thanks!

• Content Provider

Well, I tried a min/max combination of 1/1 (I didn't see 0 as an option).  But it does not make a difference for me.  The more I thought about it...can the intensity of the motor be controlled via software if only using a relay board?  The only state the relay can be in is full on or full off.  So the motor would be receiving 12v when the relay is closed and 0 when open (in theory).  Unless you are able to do PWM, or add some hardware in...maybe a pot, I'm thinking you would not be able to adjust strictly through software.  Unless the software pulses the relays on/off but I doubt the relay can switch fast enough to achieve any real results.

If anyone is interested in another option for offset weights...I found these to work quite well (other than too weak at 5v and too strong at 12v, but that's not the fault of the weights, of course):

20150415_081925.jpg

20150415_081854.jpg

20150415_081820.jpg

20150414_110225.jpg

They are called Shaft Collars and I found them at a local ACE hardware.  I went in looking for the tapped screws but they didn't have any.  I imagine these are a little more expensive than tapped screws, but they're not that much to begin with. I did have to buy two screws to put through the hole and tighten down to the motor shaft.  All in all, I'm pretty happy with them.  I think I may end up having to buy a dc motor control.

• Content Provider

the only relay i use is for starting the electronics when i start the pc, with zebs boards we can use pwm for everything including contactors, relay and pwm doesn't seem to be a good combination

• Content Provider

Try moving both weights to being at the same orientation (bolts to the top on both sides) and it should be ok at 5v.

Thanks for the suggestion Zebulon.  I was thinking that having them set opposite of each other might increase the overall offset and thus the vibration, but thinking about it again, they are probably working against each other and cancelling the vibration out more than anything.  I will try setting them to the same orientation.

• Content Provider

Thanks again Zebulon!!!  I change the orientation of the weights to match each other and it is markedly improved!  I am quite satisfied with the intensity now, at 5V; plenty strong to feel, and not enough to shake the monitor down!  I was about to build a pwm circuit with a 555 timer, or do a simple voltage divider off of the 12v rail, but no need!  I guess what I really need to do is go back to physics 101.

I actually took this pic right after put the second weight on.  I initially only had one weight on the left side.  I should have tried moving the second weight a few times after I didn't notice much improvement (if any) after adding it on.

To answer your question edizzle, I have my settings in the config tool set to 5 min and 17 max I believe. I change them by one like every couple of weeks just because. I do have to say that the amount of weight and how off balance it is set up with will indeed make harder to fine tune. This is just from this experience but if I add more weight to my bolts (I made them btw) with a nut on the end I really have to change the intensity a lot to feel a difference, and then it becomes too violent. I am running it through a standard relay board @ 12v and there is no problem with adjusting the intensity. If I turn off my speakers I can hear the relay clicking very fast to a slower clicking when a lower shake is needed. All I know is it works for me and everyone that has played sure loves the feeling and are quite shaken the first time they feel it, pun intended.

Glad you worked yours out and enjoy

• 2 years later...
On 4/15/2015 at 0:59 PM, edizzle said:

option for offset weights...I found these to work quite well (other than too weak at 5v and too strong at 12v, but that's not the fault of the weights, of course):

20150415_081925.jpg

20150414_110225.jpg

They are called Shaft Collars and I found them at a local ACE hardware.  I went in looking for the tapped screws but they didn't have any.  I imagine these are a little more expensive than tapped screws, but they're not that much to begin with. I did have to buy two screws to put through the hole and tighten down to the motor shaft.  All in all, I'm pretty happy with them.  I think I may end up having to buy a dc motor control.

I know its been a while, but do you recall what size shaft collars you used?

thanks!

• 1 month later...

Well just to follow up as it looks like we loose a lot of members once thier cabs are built. ? I used the Darkfall method that's posted on VPF. Google shaker motor Darkfall

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Archived