What Is A Booster Board And Why Do We Need One?

jasonsmith

I don't quite get what a booster board does, I'm thinking it's a way to run objects that the LedWiz doesn't have the power to run.

1. Can someone explain a booster board for a dummy like myself.

2. Our contactors not just big relay devices correct, can we not use the LedWiz to trigger a contactor and actually make something else run like a motor or what not providing we have a power supply able to run it? Similar to a car starter relay.

POWER SUPPLY (Big enough to run large objects)

|

|

LedWiz (Trigger)--------->---------->CONTACTOR

|

|

MOTOR

Please excuse my ignorance. 

I'm still trying to grasp some initial concepts myself, but to my understanding the booster board has the resistors and diodes already incorporated for the LEDs and 12v contactors

What about 24v contractors? I was able to buy 6 new ones for 6.50 a piece, couldn't pass it up! Also in the USA so hard to find 12v. The 24v contactors still going to need an external power supply and diodes and resisters?

Also this board will also save money without having the need to buy a modified led wiz with extra wire soldered in for shaker motor?

Any other perks of the booster board I haven't grasped yet? :)

That's another thing, why the extra wire? I've seen it many times in pictures but don't get why it's there. It would be great if there was a tutorial or information thread on all this stuff. So much info and little tricks are hiding out in alot of different threads.

• Administrators

With the booster boards you do not need the H-Bridge for the shaker or the extra wires soldered on the LedWiz.  As far as I know the extra wire just rerouted voltage or something like that.  You still need to supply the correct voltage for the solenoids, etc.

The Booster boards are to make wiring a cab easy. Kind of a plug and play solution.

Now, while we have touched on the extra wires.. I was curious about this myself. When NOT using the booster boards, I see folks have been soldering a wire to pin 4 on the center chip (I think) of the LEDWiz and running it to the H-Bridge.

I have read that the other extra wires like Chris soldered on his LEDWiz are not needed under pretty much any circumstances... Is this also the case with that wire for the H-Bridge?

The wire soldered to the ledwiz for the dual h bridge is grabbing the signal in a positive state before it goes into the drivers. Once it exits the drivers it's in a negative state and pretty much useless for the dual h bridge as an input signal.

As far as your question goes Tyson, the boards I supply allow you to run all of your toys, 12v, 3v, 5v,24v and 32v...... from leds to contactors, to replay knockers,.... off of a single atx computer psu. As well, they have all the outputs covered with diode protection, have a resistor network preinstalled that allows for either 350ma or 700ma LEDs and comes with a separate speed control for the shaker motor so you can dial in just the right amount of vibration. All of the inputs to the boards are mirrored, meaning that the boards will run off of a negative input signal or a positive input signal and the input voltage can be anywhere from 3v to 12v meaning that the user is future proofed for any new controller solution that may come up like the arduino or rpi.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to recieve a heap of PM's regarding blown LEDwiz driver chips...... from guys that were inexperienced right though to guys that have been in the game a long time. The LEDwiz driver chips are great but a little underated for some of the stuff we are doing.

Zeb released his booster boards and I hardly get contacted anymore.

That is a testiment to zebs boards. Well deisgned and constantly improving.

• 2 years later...

Archived