Thinking Of Buying A Pinball Machine For My Dad

THK

Hey all, I've been in a situation where I had to move in with my dad for a bit due to personal circumstances and I don't have to pay rent. Now I don't have a lot of spare money and'll probably have to sink most in stuff for a new place if I find one. But if I can save some together if I can't find a place soon I was thinking of buying my dad a pinball machine as a thank you gift. He does like pinball a lot, but has mostly stuck with playing awful pinball games on his pc. I installed The Pinball Arcade on his laptop, but he only plays Attack From Mars but that game is of course waaaaay out of my budget if I ever get a budget together to buy a real one anyway (not a too old one). But at least I know he likes the real thing.

Now I've been looking around a bit and found a couple of pins that I might be able to afford. And I'd like to know what you guys think would be a smart bet. (of course they will probably be gone by the time I can buy them, but still)

- Strange Science €650

- F14 Tom Cat €700

- Game Show €750

- Dr Dude €750

- Radical €750

- Jokerz €800

- Robocop €850

- Maverick €850

- Royal Rumble €850

- Fishtales €850 (colors are faded, no topper)

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles €850 (not really what I would pick for my dad)

- Revenge from Mars for €950, which would come closer to AFM, but less of an actual hardcore pin (which I guess he isn't anyway), but the monitor often doesn't start and I have no clue if this easily (and/or inexpensively) fixed.

Of course the cheaper the pin, the better for me

Thanks for the tips guys

Is building a digital cab out of the question? It sounds like he'd enjoy it.

Well, that was allways the 'one day' plan, it's probably gonna cost way more and I don't really have tools or a workplace.

• Content Provider

Thanks for the tips guys

Well, that was allways the 'one day' plan, it's probably gonna cost way more and I don't really have tools or a workplace.

Actually, not as bad as you think. depends on how crazy you get. I built mine for 550$, but I don't use a dedicated computer. My cab is essentially an oversized controller with 2 screens in it that works off my desktop, while being a desktop too.

When I do build one, I'd like to have some of the bells & whistles on it, like leds/shakers/dmd, design my own decals etc. It's probably gonna be a few years, hell I'm one of the 'bigshot' theme creators over at HyperSpin and I've had my arcade controls gathering dust in a box for years now. I'd have to build a cab 1st. For now I'm just better off buying something than building it.

Archived