Wip - Groni Pinball - Stern - Pirates Of The Caribbean

Gronimod

• Content Provider

Hey Guys

I guess it´s about time to show you the progress of my POTC Table.

I started this table about 2 weeks ago. 

The playfield is completeley redrawed by me and provides a very good legibility. Also all plastics are redrawed.

Everything with exeption of the metalrails, are made in 3D, including the flippers.

UncleWilly is helping me out with the animations like Tortuga Disc and the Deadmens Chest and of course the Ship.

This table will be FS Only and optimized to the Physics5 Engine which provides the best Physics.

Hope you like it so far. I will keep you guys up to date

Best Regards

Groni

post-5468-0-52790100-1409934817_thumb.jpg

• Content Provider

Looking nice so far.  Just so you know there is a POTC already out with a high res playfield and plastics.  You have the most factory plastics already which looks better.

If you want to start with this table to save you some time and just update it with primatives and the Stern style plastics I'd be more than happy to approve a mod to it.  Of course you can still keep going from scratch but I figure this would save you a lot of time.  Table is here:

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/2458-pirates-of-the-caribbean-stern-2006-85vett-fs-12/

Also, I was doing a physmod 5 conversion to this table and found a bug with how ramps react.  It's completely prevented me from finishing up the phsymod 5 version until that is fixed.  I sent the issue details to musket at VPF.  Just wanted to call that out since it stopped me.  You may have better luck.

• Content Provider

Sorry to say that, but this table was the reason for me to start a new one. Nothing is really highres on that table. Most FS Tables including this one is totaly out of shape. I already played it, and it´s more of a JP Conversion and (sorry) wrong in most parts. None of the new SAM releases 

give me the feeling of playing a newer Stern table. Well maybe mine doesn´t too for you, but at least for me I have my favorite SAM Table in a HD Quality. Remember that my screenshot is reduced and doesn´t show the real quality.

I always do tables completeley from scratch. The Playfield is vectorized and have a original Resolution 8192 Pixels. For VP it´s has been downsampled to 2048px

I have  the complete plasticset also in HQ. 

After all these years doing my Megapin Tables, I enjoy doing all that stuff in 3d.

• Content Provider

Well sh*t sorry to have offered to save some time. 

I realize that table doesn't play well thus why I started a physmod5 conversion of it.  You have to remember it was built on 9.2.  Physmod was a pipe dream at that point as well as VP9.9.  The physics sucked in 9.2 compared to what they are today.  Heck, that is also why there are not models in that table.  Primatives in VP wasn't invented yet.  Best of luck getting the physics to play like a real table.  It's dang near impossible to do in VP as the physic engine still isn't that great.  I think Tron physmod5 is the closest I've gotten and I've got 100's of plays on the real on (buddy owns it) and 100's of hours tweaking it and I'm still not fully happy with it.

Word of advice.  Don't go to high res as people wont be able to play the table.  Just look back at some of my earlier tables and see all the complaints received about the pics being to large and killing systems.  It's due to that on why the resolution has been reduced on all tables I've released.  The POTC I release was more than cut in half when released as my beta testers couldn't play it at full resolution (talking 2.5+ meg playfield images).  Gotta get them down to less than 1 meg or people wont be able to play it.

Maybe I'm a bit touchy today but that was about the worst response to a let me help you type of post I could have read.  You basically just said all the work I've done on the new SAM tables is not good and wrong, not to mention low quality.  Quite honestly, that pissed me off a bit.  I'm fine with constructive feedback on my work but that rubbed me wrong. 

• Content Provider

I just said that no SAM Release give me the feeling of playing a newer SAM Table. I´m always true and direct. I am thankful for try to help me. 

I have simple rules doing a table. Always from scratch. And only if I have everything for it I need. If only one part, plastic or whatever is not right, I don´t start a table. And Rule of the Rules is TAKE YOUR TIME BUILDING A TABLE! 

I always wanted to start POTC, but I never had good plastics, no 3D ability in VP etc. that´s why I waited. Most people just grab bad swammy pixie pictures from the net and build up a table out of it. This is something I cannot understand!

I always take my time preparing a new table. Playing the real one, is a must for me!

Did you ever played my Banzai Run? There you have an example of good physics for that time I created it. I already builded a early version of physics with the Physics5 Engine and they feel pretty close. I have a POTC next to me, so

I always have a compare to the real machine. Some fixes needed to do on the Physics5. But when a new version is out, this table will be optimized to it. And no release until everything sits where it have to sit and no release until it plays

at best what VP can offer with the engine.

And about Highres pictures on a table....I have Highend Hardware, and with that I do the best possible with a table. I don´t really care if someone have a low system. There is a simple rule. If you are not able to play the game cause of low

hardware, then you simply can not play it. I don´t reduce quality just for low systems. 

• Administrators

Nice to see you here Groni.  I can't wait to see how you handle this game.  I think having multiple authors creating games is a good thing.  While I'd rather see games that we don't have yet, I don't mind seeing how another author goes about creating a table. 

Personally, I absolutely love Vette's table releases.  For one he was the first one to stand up and actually release a SAM based table. That took balls as noone else would do it even though many of the tables were very nicely built.  But I've found that several of the games play very well. My scores are very in line with what I do on the real machines.  On Tron I've actually found it more difficult to get Portal on the VP version than the real version.

Lets not turn this into a pissing match. I say, the more table authors we have here and creating tables... the better it is for our community.

• Content Provider

Another WIP

Added the Dead Men´s Chest + the rest of the plastics (which are not final).

Added the first fading inserts and switches

Added 3d Mesh Apron with seperate Coin and Instructions cards, so they are easy changeable.

post-5468-0-08917600-1410212672_thumb.jpg

• Content Provider

Thanks Vett. Yeah I do all those models by myself. I have about 10 Years of knowledge with 3d. Still learning every day, but for VP it´s perfect, cause most Objects are easy and quick to do, with

exept of complex toys like the Balrog or T2 Head for Example.

• 2 years later...

Archived