Commercial Seller Including Tables!

Mameman

• Content Provider

It's not, he's advertising as a business. But either way, even for private sales you have no way of proving that the value is in the hardware and not the software, and if there's any indication that the value is in the software, you run into a ton of legality issues with selling it.

In this case, many many people may find value in the games being included. There's so many people who just want to buy a machine and have it work without having to install anything. Unless you're selling an UltraPin with licensed game recreations, you're selling it illegally.

• Content Provider

Better flag all the virtuapins as well. ;)

Yeah had a dude come in chat trying to get some SAM tables running that said he just bought a VirtuaPin straight from the factory with 75 games loaded. We know how respectful VirtuaPin is to the community and authors, so this must be an allowed action now. 

Of course this was just one guy talking in chat, so you can believe it or not.

• Content Provider

You never know on preloaded games, people change their minds, but there's no way I'm going to believe he'd preload a Sam game on his cabs lol

No the SAMs tables were not in the list of preloaded.

• Content Provider

I've heard about it on several different occasions.

I don't really see how it's much different than what he's doing right now with the website.  He's essentially selling them right now with the memberships.

In the emulation world and in the Eula it's usually the norm to not include roms with the emulator/simulators. I believe this is the basis why it's frowned on, as well as the obvious grey area of selling content you don't own. Don't recall about torrents though

Torrents: that's a good point and I don't doubt that factors in but at the old vpf.com some AUTHORS told me they didn't want torrent because t was a bitch to handle the complaints of why x table doesn't work, so no torrents was a wish by some of them for version control. There are also some who believe torrents prevent members from becoming contributing members (not money, assitance/become authors, etc). Personally I like torrents because they take a load of the hardware costs/bandwidth but I see things differently than many others.

• Content Provider

First came MAME for me and the pursuit to have it all. Then I played with just PINMAME (just the ROMs) and thought this is stupid. Then I found a torrent and a magic program within called Visual Pinball, made by some cartoon character call Randy Davis.

mypic.gif

Soon I was on the internet highway searching for anything to do with Visual Pinball. My MAME collection started falling behind, but I had pinball. Read my book, Rascal And The Torrent From Hell. It's a compelling story about how one person spiraled down from a clean cut sun worshiper into a cave dwelling pastey white emulator addict, and got caught up in a community cult of pinball fanatics that thought they knew everything and had bad attitudes to boot.

• Content Provider

LOL Rascal. I have no issue with torrents. If someone came to me and said my table didn't work the first thing I'd ask is do you have the latest one? If all they had was the torrent that would stop it right there.

Just like the other things on the internet, the only people who have issues with torrents are the ones making money from said content.

I've had a few comments and messages on my cabinet backup that's it saved so much work, not to have to change a few lines on 500 tables. There's your answer on torrents.

Yeah, the argument of version control is silly when you look at how hard it is to look through some of the various tables trying to find the most recent version year.  Then when you go to down it you have to figure out which version number is the most recent.  Sometimes that can be a real challenge.  I used torrents a lot with MAME and if you use MAME you know how things get changed en mass alot and you have to update tons of roms.  I'm way out of date on that just due to the massive size of a full set of MAME these days.

Point is I have (Mostly) learned what egg shells not to step on over at VPF, but my tongue bleeds a lot!   ;)

• Content Provider

It's pretty pathetic that you have to walk on eggshells to begin with.

Paul AKA Noah is a bully.  Look at the way he talks to people in his posts.  He gets off on berating people, like they're all little kids or something.  The guy is a liar and a scumbag, and I'll be laughing my ass off one day when he gets sued for selling the tables as he does.

Archived