Stern Indiana Jones And Csi - A Thought Initiative

• Content Provider

Rather than saying it doesn't work...

WHY don't these games work? You insert credits, you press start...you press start....ugh the game is broke

So why do these 2 games specifically not work, and is there anything we can ever do to fix these? What is needed? WHO is needed?

Indiana Jones can insert coins, that's it

CSI can insert coins and start game, but does not generate balls (can't even add balls to the trough for some reason)

• Content Provider

I can't help, snotz can't help either as i understood, we need stronger gurus, or the vpinmame team, which will not happen soon.

If i don't say bullshit It has something to do with there are two shooter lane feeders, which is quite unique.

Second issue with sam emulation is the aux board not working, for solenoid > 32

Third is the most of the LE roms have their dmd super slow

• 3 weeks later...

I suspect a CPU emulation problem.   When you go to launch the ball, the DMD is supposed to show a skill shot target to shoot for (you can see this in videos), but in PinMAME, it's blank.     Both of these games seem to use the same sort of code for this (the arrow pointing at the "shoot here") 

I tried syncing up the latest version of the AT91 (ARM core) from MAME back into PinMAME (it seems to have some improved timing bits), but the problem still remained.   I haven't had time to work on this further unfortunately.     Next thing to do is get a disassembly of the relevant section of code that's running during the ball launch and figure out where and why it's hung.

• Content Provider

I suspect a CPU emulation problem.   When you go to launch the ball, the DMD is supposed to show a skill shot target to shoot for (you can see this in videos), but in PinMAME, it's blank.     Both of these games seem to use the same sort of code for this (the arrow pointing at the "shoot here") 

I tried syncing up the latest version of the AT91 (ARM core) from MAME back into PinMAME (it seems to have some improved timing bits), but the problem still remained.   I haven't had time to work on this further unfortunately.     Next thing to do is get a disassembly of the relevant section of code that's running during the ball launch and figure out where and why it's hung.

CSI shows this screen on the DMD but emulation freezes

• 3 months later...

Hi..

I just had a stupid idea regarding IJ4:
As the start button in principle works (one can enter the service menu for example and use it there), and a ball is spit out in the beginning, could it be related to this:

Any balls not saved by the flippers or the post end up in the ball trough. Indiana Jones uses thirteen balls in total - eight in play and five captive. Although four balls are staged in the Ark and four are kept in the trough, the trough has to be able to deal with all 8 balls at once. There are four microswitches to sense stacked balls plus an opto to sense the ball in the upkicker. So the game can see if there are five or more balls in the trough and keep sending balls to the Ark until only four remain. (source: http://www.pinballnews.com/games/indianajones/index7a.html)

So maybe the game first wants to get all four balls into the Ark before one can start?

(EDIT: i came up with that as my real STTNG basically does the same thing, it first wants to get some balls into the ball tunnels before one can start)

• Content Provider

triggering the ark switches (41 42 43 44) before starting does nothing, tried a bunch of combinations of initialized switches and not getting much feedback. At one point I got a solenoid error but can't recall what caused that. Sometimes I can get a "Locating Pinballs..." screen if I wait long enough. If you add something like 8 balls to through you get an mballs error in vp. so far no luck

• Content Provider

There are 7 German standup targets in front of the ark (41-44 and 55-57).  There is no ark trough, its a plastic tray that can hold 4 balls - I think the ark enter opto is the only way the table knows how many balls are in the ark.  http://www.pinballnews.com/games/indianajones/index7a.html and search for platform

Maybe the game spits out all balls out of the Ark on boot and then tries to get them into the Ark again (e.g. the Ark enter needs to be triggered by the 4 balls, but maybe even only after all the other switches on the way have been triggered correctly??) just to be sure.. Or it remembers it from the last game where they are (unlikely, but who knows)?

• Content Provider

Here is a test table with the 4 ball Ark simulated. The ROM works until you start the game and then no pinball released, the rom controlled lights stop and even the 0 to enter ROM menu does not work.  I uploaded it in case anyone wants to tinker with it now or in the future...

ROM test - IJ4.zip

First hurdle, the cvpmballstack only supports 7 balls, so I copied it and created cvpm8ballstack (in the table script)

Open the debug window to see the table activity.  Some test buttons

Pressing the Extra ball button, 2, will release the balls in the Ark.  If you release one or more of the balls and then press the start button, the table will re-initialize the ark "Locating Pinballs, Please Wait...".  Pressing the Start button again, starts game again but still not working

Pressing the Plunger button will walk through the switches one at a time. Open the debug window to see what switch #.  Some of the switches still cause solenoids to fire but doesnt fix the problem, see below

26 switch pressed
70793.09 solenoid 17=True
70793.16 solenoid 17=False
27 switch pressed
70795.59 solenoid 18=True
70795.64 solenoid 18=False
30 switch pressed
70799.98 solenoid 9=True
70800.02 solenoid 9=False
31 switch pressed
70802.97 solenoid 10=True
70803.02 solenoid 10=False
32 switch pressed
70804.66 solenoid 11=True
70804.7 solenoid 11=False
33 switch pressed
70805.77 solenoid 12=True
70805.8 solenoid 12=False
40 switch pressed
70811.44 solenoid 3=True
70811.46 solenoid 3=False
70811.48 solenoid 3=True
70811.5 solenoid 3=False
70811.52 solenoid 3=True
70811.55 solenoid 3=False
70811.58 solenoid 3=True
70811.6 solenoid 3=False
70811.62 solenoid 3=True
70811.66 solenoid 3=False
70811.68 solenoid 3=True
70811.7 solenoid 3=False
46 switch pressed
70820.65 solenoid 13=True
70820.71 solenoid 13=False
47 switch pressed
70821.68 solenoid 14=True
70821.76 solenoid 14=False

ROM test - IJ4.zip

• Content Provider

You're crazy joe. That gets us to exactly the same point that CSI is at , unfortunately....why isn't it releasing the ball? Everything indicates that it has. The start button remains lit after you press start and it says "shoot here for indy jones"

One thing I notice about these two games is that they both say "shoot here for x" with an arrow pointing to the right. Do other games display this same information? What's it supposedly pointing at?

Testing CSI now it just says "locating pinballs" and doesn't say shoot here... not sure why it worked last time. Sounds like. Internet sucks right now and I can't download the manual :<

Archived