Question Using A B2S Backglass On A Pre-Existing Table

Marcdaddy

Hi Guys I have a question, I have downloaded other tables that are B2S Versions of a table, For example Diner FS [ B2S ] 1.0.0 which the Game with the B2S file included and when I launch the table everything is working great on my 3 screen cabinet, when I look into the downloads here in the B2S section these are just the B2S file ( BACKGLASS ONLY ) and not the actual table correct? If so how do I get this to run with my pre-existing tables in VP that need the Backglass? Thanks guys.

• Content Provider

Ok, there's 2 different types of b2s.

Old B2s: Diner is an example of this. Diner FS [ B2S ] 1.0.0.exe is the backglass. This type usually comes with the table itself.

The tablename, b2s.exe, and where it's called for in the script, must match exactly. If you don't feel good about going into the script, leave the names intact as is.

DirectB2s: (Newer b2s). This is the kind you download the individual backglasses for without the table.

The Directb2s (backglass) name and the tablename must match exactly, but you're free to change the name, so long as the 2 files have the same name.

So long as the files are named correctly, both can co-exist in the same folder with no issues. I have 75 b2s, and 334 Directb2s, all in the same folder.

For a directb2s there is also one line of code in the table script that needs to be set correctly if you weren't using directb2s before.   It's usually close to the top of the script.   Search for "vpinmame.controller".  It will look like this:

Set Controller = CreateObject('VPinmame.Controller')

Change this to:

Set Controller = CreateObject("B2S.Server")  

A lot of tables these days have the B2S.Server as a comment (it will be in green with an apostrophe in front).  You'll see something like:

Set Controller = CreateObject('VPinmame.Controller')

'Set Controller = CreateObject("B2S.Server") 

In this case you can just remove the apostrophe in front of the B2S.Server line to uncomment it, and add an apostrophe infront of the vpinmame.controller one to comment it out.

If this table previously had a B2S .exe and you want it to now run a directb2s, you'll also want to find the section of code that launches the .EXE and turn it off.   Search for the name of the .EXE, there's usually something you can change from "true" to "false" to get it to stop trying to launch the backglass .EXE.

• Content Provider

there's usually something you can change from "true" to "false" to get it to stop trying to launch the backglass .EXE.

That would be Launch Backglass= True or false. :)

False for Directb2s, True for Backglass.exe

Okay I got everything working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hours of tweaking in my future, I should have done this last week when I was snowed in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah man, I did the same and now I'm having so much fun with these tables and 2 displays.

• 5 months later...

Trying to get working with Hyperpin but for some reason HP is launching both backglasses.  If I launch Diner manually the DirectB2S backglass launches perfectly.  But when I launch via HP, the B2S.exe backglass launches over the top of the DirectB2S backglass.

These are my script changes...

ExecuteGlobal GetTextFile("b2s.vbs")
  ResetB2SData 0,49,0    'Initialise the b2s data area
'**************************************************************************************
  LaunchBackGlass "Diner_FS_B2S", False 'True=Launch bg ,  False=Don't launch bg.
'**************************************************************************************

and...

'Set Controller = CreateObject("VPinMAME.Controller")
Set Controller = CreateObject("B2S.Server")

The table name and the directb2s name are the same.

Anyone had this issue?

Thanks!

• Content Provider

Hyperpin automatically launches the _B2S_exe if the table ends in _B2S.vpt.    Rename the table to remove the _B2S and you should be good to go.

That's something I didn't know. Even though I have b2s and directb2s in the same folder working (under PinballX).

Hyperpin automatically launches the _B2S_exe if the table ends in _B2S.vpt.    Rename the table to remove the _B2S and you should be good to go.

Thanks heaps GTXJoe, it worked perfectly.  I might go through all my other B2S tables to see if there are better DirectB2S backglass files I can apply.  Thanks again!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry for bumping this, but I have a few questions reagarding this old B2S vs. directb2s topic. Could not find answers anywhere after a weak of sporadic searches and trial and error/testing. Here it goes:

1. When i make a table use a directb2s backglass by calling the B2S.Server controller, will there be any conflicts between the B2s code in the table script and the ROM controlling everything incl the backglass lights? Mostly tables by rosve (b2s mods of JP tables) come to my mind... Which ones to use with later-added directb2s backglasses?)

2. On EM tables without a ROM and no distinct b2s code in the table script, how does the b2s server and the directb2s Backglass know what to do regarding lights?

3. DOF! Mighty DOF. How can I use an old .exe backglass and still call the B2S server, with the intention of using DOF. Are there any code examples out there that work reliably? I see tables where it works (B2s Server running for DOF but table opening the exe backglass instead of the directb2s one. e.g Wizard!)

On other tables it just won't work (Terminator 3 or Close Encounters). The exe is loaded but the b2s server also runs a backglass and, if there's none just picks the first it finds (2001 in my case). That causes problems, especially strange ones with T3, where 2001 repaces the animated part of the T3 backglass. If there's no same-named directb2s file the server stops with an error, which leads to deactivated DOF. How can one fix this? 

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edit: Ooh, this thread is in general discussion. Guess this should be moved. I'm even more sorry for bumping now.

• Content Provider

#1 .. highly unlikely these are ROM based tables that used the tablename_b2s.exe backglasses.

#2 . The lights wont do anything without the call. So if you make them off in the directb2s they will remain off, if you make them on they will be on, etc. You can code some animation within the directb2s but few do that. You can control the lights via script (with or without a rom).

#3. I dont see that as being possible. What happens is people create the .directb2s and add the new b2s calls to the script and eliminate the table_b2s.exe backglass all together.

#4 - change the backglass filename to match exactly (watch out for spaces) to the table name. If need be, rename the tablename to remove spaces to make it easier to match like "terminator3.vpt" instead of "terminator 3.vpt". T3 should NOT be calling a directb2s ..it wont have the code to make that happen. (if I recall the table it would have a script line that specifically calls run "..._b2s.exe". 

Thanks a lot allknowing for the first information. Highly apperciated. Though, you answers did not quite yet help me understand what I obviously cannot. Let me comment and simplify my questions, please.

#1: There are quite a few ROM-based tables around that use old .exe backglasses: Attack from Mars, Bad Cats, Black Knight 2000, Back to the Future, Cirqus Voltaire, Cyclone, Eight Ball Deluxe, Elvira, F-14, Flash, Funhouse, Jack Bot, Jokerz!, Kiss, Medieval Madness, Mephisto, Scard Stiff, Spirit, Star Trek 25th, Star Wars (DE), Starship Troopers, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Terminator 2, Tales from the Crypt, Time Machine are on my list. There are probably more. I aware that there are alternatives around.

Most, if not all, of these tables above have b2s-code in the tables script and were done by rosve as mods for JP tables. Having b2s-code in the table scruipt means, that both (1) VPinMame (with the help of the B2S.server) and (2) the table itself (with the help of b2s.vbs) can "talk" to the backglass. Who does the backglass listen to? The answer to this question should solve my problem no knowing which table to install, when I want an emulation of the backglass with full funcationality and low chance of errors. So, the simplified question is: Do I pick JP's FS Versions of the tables or rosve's B2S Mods and why? I would like to use the tables with directb2s backglasses, if available.

#2: Solved: If there's neither b2s-code in the table scirpt and no B2S-Server/VPinMame-combo running, the backglass does absolutely nothing (static image). Unfortunate!

#3: It is possible. I have example tables installed that open a .exe backglass and still call the b2s server to enable Feedback by using DOF (without Error: B2s Sever looking for a same-named .directb2s file). What's the workng best practice for coding that in the table script? Please post examples. Maybe arngrim can help here, as he for example created a patch (VPU Patching) for Wizard!, one of the tables that successfully loads an .exe backglass and still uses DOF by calling the B2S-Server.

#4: The answer to question #3 should help me solve the initial problem with T3, which is not that I can't get a .directb2s file to work (there is none around). My problem is that I can't enable DOF on T3 (Set Controller=CreatObject("B2S.Serve) without the resulting of the B2S-Server looking for a directb2s backglass. For T3 the B2S-Server would just load another directb2s backglass (2001 in my case, guess it's alphabetical). For other tables I just get an Error-Message, saying that the B2S-Server can't find a file with the same name.

Remark: I could live without these questions answerd / problems solved. Most of above tables have alternative versions. I'm not just trying to figure out what to do for my best experience, but my goal is also to understand how VP / VPinMame / B2S Server, .exe and .directb2s backglasses / DOF work together in order to contribute to the community in future, helping newer members who will inevitably ask themselves the same questions. The approach I chose to learn stuff is to search for related problems and solve them, either by myself or with the help of others (this case I need help, becuase I'm not a VP-coder (yet)). Again, thanks a lot in advance for an information and answers!

• 2 years later...

Good Stuff guys.  Thanks for this thread.  I was not sure how to get the backglass to load for the Stern Spiderman game that I am trying to get running on my 4K monitor in portrait mode.  The script had the controller set to "VPinMAME.Controller".

Setting it to "B2S.Server" and then renaming my downloaded .directb2s files to the exact name of the table file works like a charm.

Now I have to figure out how to get the DMD to show bigger than about 8 pixels.  lol

Archived