I had the same sound problems on my I7, all sam tables with echo/double-sound. It seems to be a problem on some multi-core CPUs.
My Hardware: I7-4790K @ 4 GHz/ GTX970 / 16GB ram.
My 2nd System: I5 @ 3,2 GHz / GT620 / 8GB ram.
OS on both: Windows 10 / 64-Bit.
I had no sound problems on my I5, only on my I7.
While playing a sam table pause the game and start TaskManager. All CPU cores were checked. After uncheck all except CPU 0 the problem was gone.
Find it out:
1. Start VP - open table - play
2. Pause the game and open TaskManager (ctrl-shift-esc)
3. Right-Click on the VP app (eg. VPinball991) - Go to details -
4. Under details again right-click on the app and choose set affinity
5. In the Processor Affinity window uncheck all CPU cores but leave the ones for CPU 0 (hex=1)
6. Click ok to save the settings
7. Close the TaskManager Box and resume game
8. The effect is immediate - echo / double sound is gone
Close / Open VP or restarting the computer will revert the changes. To assign specific processor cores for the VP app in Windows 10 create a shortcut to run VP app with a set CPU affinity in Windows:
- right click on an empty area of your desktop, and click on New and Shortcut.
- Type the command below into the location area: cmd.exe /c start "VP sam tables" /affinity 1 "Full path of application file" (your path in quotes)
- click next and OK to save the shortcut, in the properties of the shortcut the command should be:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start " VP sam tables " /affinity 1 "D:\Pinball\Visual Pinball\VPinball991.exe"
Double-click on Shortcut, open and play all sam tables without sound problems.